Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

@Gary-94080 wrote:

if they really want suggestions on how to improve it, here is one.  get rid of the first selection screen and automatically go to all media types.  it would make sense if once you made a selection and you picked your device it went to only the media type you selected, but no, you have to select again to move forward.

Actually, you can do that now. When you first start RMP, hit the * button and turn off "Select media type at startup". However, when I tested it the default was to Video, since that was the last one I used. But if you hit * again from within the server you can change the media type to "All", and it sticks after closing and opening RMP again. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@atc98092 wrote:

@Gary-94080 wrote:

if they really want suggestions on how to improve it, here is one.  get rid of the first selection screen and automatically go to all media types.  it would make sense if once you made a selection and you picked your device it went to only the media type you selected, but no, you have to select again to move forward.

Actually, you can do that now. When you first start RMP, hit the * button and turn off "Select media type at startup". However, when I tested it the default was to Video, since that was the last one I used. But if you hit * again from within the server you can change the media type to "All", and it sticks after closing and opening RMP again. 

thank you the information.

when I use that setting to turn off Request media type at startup, I notice that the program glitches twice before continuing on.  I turned it on and off a couple of times to verify that it happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Gary-94080 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@Gary-94080 wrote:

thank you the information.

when I use that setting to turn off Request media type at startup, I notice that the program glitches twice before continuing on.  I turned it on and off a couple of times to verify that it happens.

Weird. I tested mine before I posted that and it didn’t glitch at all. I’ll try it on one of my other Rokus. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Ok I think I figured out why the RMP was closing out while I was sleeping. I stayed up and put the remote across the room so wouldn't accidently pause the media. At 5 hours of playback a message popped up on the bottom of the screen asking if I wanted to continue playback and something about conservation of bandwidth. Sorry I didn't have time to take note of the exact wording as I had limited time to answer. I chose the selection. Do not ask again for this channel or program. Then closed out RMP after a couple minutes and went back in selected my Sleepytime media and went to sleep woke up 8 hours later and it was finally still playing Smiley Happy so when y'all fix the autoplay not turning off for the ppl that don't want the feature can you please remove this feature as if someone is playing media through USB for 5 hours I'm pretty sure they don't want it shut off. Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

The bandwidth saver is a generic 9.2 OS update feature, not specific to RMP.  https://www.whattowatch.com/how-to/rokus-remote-control-key-its-new-bandwidth-saver

I was going to suggest putting enough media on your phone/tablet and trying to play it though the media player on the roku app to see if that would run all night, but it would probably have hit the same timer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I understand it's not specific to the RMP but why would you need the feature when connected to a USB device. Need to have an option to turn this feature off for the RMP otherwise I'm worried when they do have an update I will have to sit there for 5 hours not touching the remote to hit do not ask me again. 

Highlighted
Level 12

I agree that saving bandwidth doesn't make sense for a USB device, but it is a generic timer in the OS so it would take a special-case check in RMP to deal with it.    And it might still make sense to turn off a TV with an embedded roku system after that long (not sure if that happens, I've never let mine run that long without touching a remote).

0 Kudos
Level 21

@toby3000 wrote:

I understand it's not specific to the RMP but why would you need the feature when connected to a USB device. Need to have an option to turn this feature off for the RMP otherwise I'm worried when they do have an update I will have to sit there for 5 hours not touching the remote to hit do not ask me again. 

I've made sure the developers have seen your comment, so hopefully it can be addressed. I can't say how long it might be before they get to it, as I'm sure it will depend on how difficult it will be.

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

How do we make a request for multiple audio tracks enabled in movie playback from usb devices?  I'm trying to access alternative tracks and commentaries in my files, but have no choice other than the default audio, which is in some cases not even english!  It seems a pretty basic feature: the usb playback on all my samsung tvs over the last decade had it, not to mention all my dvd players for the last 20 years!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

The ability to play multiple audio tracks in mkv files is standard on DLNA players. It worked fine on the previous Roku Media Player.

The new Roku Media Player has a number of different bugs, problems, and issues that the original Roku Media Player does not have. Not being able to play multiple audio tracks is only one of them.

It's anyone's guess as to why Roku chose to force this change on users when the software was not yet ready. The player so far has had one upgrade weeks ago that fixed a few issues, but it is still far from 100%.

You don't need to make a request, you have to wait, like every other Roku user, for Roku to publish a player that works to the same standards as the original Roku Media Player. When that is going to come to pass is also anyone's guess.

0 Kudos