Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 21

Re: ROKU MEDIA PLAYER.

@Gary-94080 wrote:

@jvo1944 wrote:

@Gary-94080 wrote: wow, I just checked for an update.  they changed the colors......

Can you tell us what version and build you are referring to?  Mine says that the latest is V51, build 3.

Thanks,  J

I have version 5.1 build 3

since the update I've been using Apple TV to play audio files.  I don't care for their screen saver either but it is not as bad as a bouncing box.

when I saw the post saying that they were pushing out updates I got my hopes up and went back to the Roku to check it out.  since I'm not using RMP regularly I'm probably wrong about a recent change in color for this latest "new" RMP.  

Yeah, the color change happened with version 5. The development team is working hard on resolving the issues that have been identified, but I can't say when the next release will come. I think they're close, but because of the various things being addressed, the next release will likely not include every fix. They are prioritizing based on the reported problems. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 11

@atc98092 wrote:

Yeah, the color change happened with version 5. The development team is working hard on resolving the issues that have been identified, but I can't say when the next release will come. I think they're close, but because of the various things being addressed, the next release will likely not include every fix. They are prioritizing based on the reported problems. 

I'm not opposed to the new color palette, I just did't recognize it as being part of the last update.  I was more focused on seeing if my problems were addressed.

I hope you are right about the problems being addressed.  I'm somewhat skeptical.  many of the concerns that are being brought up now seem to be the same or similar to comments being made the last time they put out a RMP update and quickly rolled back.

0 Kudos
Level 21

@Gary-94080 wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

I'm not opposed to the new color palette, I just did't recognize it as being part of the last update.  I was more focused on seeing if my problems were addressed.

I hope you are right about the problems being addressed.  I'm somewhat skeptical.  many of the concerns that are being brought up now seem to be the same or similar to comments being made the last time they put out a RMP update and quickly rolled back.

Yeah, there were no changes to the UI before they re-released this version as 5.1. But they did fix a lot of back end stuff. And I do believe they will get all the issues addressed. But as I mentioned, they might not all come at once. They want to get the most significant fixes out as quickly as possible, and then address the non-critical but still important issues. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

They fixed "a lot of back end stuff" before rolling out 5.1...

That's what is so confusing about this whole RMP situation.  Why roll out RMP 5.1 before addressing ALL the issues with 5.0?   What could be so urgent about moving to 5.0/5.1 that they would risk alienating so many of their core customers?  And, if it is so urgent, why did they roll 5.0 back to 4.x a couple months ago? 

I don’t expect you to answer all of this atc98092...as you are always the calm voice of reason between the angry masses and Roku.

it's like watching a software management train wreck...I just can’t look away...

Level 21

I do wish I had an answer. The closest I can come to a guess is that "someone" declared a deadline to get a new version out. No idea what pushed the deadline, but that's sure the way it appears. I'm just happy they really seem to be listening to the complaints and intend to address them as much as possible. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Level 7

Besides having the same problem with RMP 5.1  of being unable to turn off autoplay, I found a more serious bug.  With an SD TV, the RMP display is "zoomed in"  so you can only see a few of the icons and the text is off-screen.  This makes it unusable with an SD TV.

Is there any way to revert back to an older version of RMP?

0 Kudos
Level 21

@pb8086 wrote:

Besides having the same problem with RMP 5.1  of being unable to turn off autoplay, I found a more serious bug.  With an SD TV, the RMP display is "zoomed in"  so you can only see a few of the icons and the text is off-screen.  This makes it unusable with an SD TV.

Is there any way to revert back to an older version of RMP?

Second question first: no you cannot revert to the former player. Users have asked but Roku doesn't seem to be willing to do it this time.

By SD TV I assume you mean a 4:3 display using the analog connections from a Premiere+ or older player. Can you verify which Roku player (model number please, not its name) you're using? If it's a really old model, it's possible that it is no longer supported. But if it's a newer player, that might be tough to test. Roku can probably do it in their lab, but there's only a handful of beta testers and I doubt if any still use an SD display. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Level 9

Re: New Roku Media Player 7-1-2020

@rsherry wrote:

ALL smart tvs have their own SMART features/MENU. I have a Samsung with a great GUI so I can use THAT instead of the ROKU (fyi). I can use the PC in another room to host movie files, photos, etc via PLEX or any good remote media player/database. Then in the Samsung's OPTIONS (choosing a device), you can select PC. Samsung also has USB ports that allow you to play ANY EXTERNAL DRIVE media. You may have to search around for other options to ROKU if you don't have a Smart TV. I also have a Visio and it has some great features, except for the Fat32 USB external option, so I just use my PC to remotely access stuff from the PC. WHERE THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS A WAY. Roku is slowly going into the toilet and that is very sad as I thought they were ingenious when they built the ROKU. Now, all their support is in India and their Developers are not very smart. WISH I could root the Roku myself and put my own GUI menu on it since I am a software engineer in C++ , C #, etc. If you have an OLDER ROKU MODEL, use that instead, folks. THE NEW ULTRA IS NOT VERY GOOD.

REMOTE MEDIA SERVERS (FREE):

PLEX ALTERNATIVES: https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/online-marketing/online-sales/plex-alternatives/

https://heavy.com/tech/2016/01/top-5-best-home-media-server-softwares/

HOW TO SET A MEDIA SERVER UP:

https://www.howtogeek.com/210739/HOW-TO-SET-UP-A-HOME-MEDIA-SERVER-YOU-CAN-ACCESS-FROM-ANY-DEVICE/

GOOD LUCK ALL!

Yes, even old dvd players have usb inputs capable of playing video and music

0 Kudos
Level 21

@Ollio2 wrote:

@rsherry wrote:

REMOTE MEDIA SERVERS (FREE):

PLEX ALTERNATIVES: https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/online-marketing/online-sales/plex-alternatives/

https://heavy.com/tech/2016/01/top-5-best-home-media-server-softwares/

HOW TO SET A MEDIA SERVER UP:

https://www.howtogeek.com/210739/HOW-TO-SET-UP-A-HOME-MEDIA-SERVER-YOU-CAN-ACCESS-FROM-ANY-DEVICE/

GOOD LUCK ALL!

Yes, even old dvd players have usb inputs capable of playing video and music

I looked at both of those links for Plex "alternatives". While both had recent time stamps on the articles, the information was outdated, and in some cases extremely so. They show a screenshot of Serviio from 2010, showing version 0.4.2. For pete's sake, Serviio is on version 2.1 now. 

For the majority of the products mentioned, you'd still need to use RMP on a Roku device to play your media. The only major media servers I am aware of with Roku apps/channels are Plex and Emby.

Yes, many/most old DVD players have USB ports for playing media. Of course, they won't play HD material and may or may not support the format your media is in. Most Blu Ray players also have a USB input. But based on the user interfaces I've seen on disc players, you'd be better off sticking with RMP. Yes, even this version.

Dan
0 Kudos
Level 11

@C_I wrote:

Why do you need it? Use Plex or another meida server. Delete Roku Media Player.

As I've already mentioned in this thread, Plex does not function as a DLNA client. My DLNA servers are all on NAS and I'm not switching to Windows based Plex just because Roku downgraded their media player.

A lot of people use DLNA, it's a standard and it's common, so I don't get why everyone and their brother seems to think Plex is the answer.

0 Kudos