Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gadworx
Level 7

Is there a way to adjust video resolution in Apps

Jump to solution

I realize that the YouTube app lets us change the video resolution, while others do not. I have satellite internet only and most apps are not usable while YouTube works great. The Prime app works pretty good as well, while Hulu for example in unusable.

Is there a way that the video can be capped in the Roku O/S itself as an option? If not, please add!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Is there a way to adjust video resolution in Apps

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

You can adjust the video output resolution for your device in Settings>Display type. That is the current option to limit the display resolution being streamed.

Some individual channels also offer an option around this within their account settings, such as Netflix. You'll want to contact any specific channel provider directly to inquire further and request any additional support with their channel (app) on the Roku platform.  

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

You can adjust the video output resolution for your device in Settings>Display type. That is the current option to limit the display resolution being streamed.

Some individual channels also offer an option around this within their account settings, such as Netflix. You'll want to contact any specific channel provider directly to inquire further and request any additional support with their channel (app) on the Roku platform.  

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
gadworx
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Tanner. I was not clear, my apologies. I am asking about the streaming resolution into the Roku and not the output display. I have satellite internet that is often not steady and say it is streaming 720P video to my Roku, it is constantly pausing and buffering and makes the Roku unusable. 

Yet, some Roku apps like YouTube allow me to manually set the streaming resolution lower and I can watch without buffering.  It seems that most apps do not have this option and basically Roku is a YouTube box for me only.  Smiley Sad

So I was wondering if Roku had a way to request video at lower quality for all apps. I realize that the provider's service probably has to support this too so I am probably asking too much.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

If you set your Roku to a lower screen resolution, such as 720p, then the streaming sites "should" only send you the lower resolution video at a lower bitrate. This should work on all sites that use adaptive streaming, and most of the major sites do use it. Other than that, your only other choice to limit your streaming speed would be to put a router on your network that supports device speed limiting. Not all do, so you'd have to do a little research to find the right one. 

It can be a little tricky to add a second router to a network, but as long as it's the only device that connects to your original router you should be OK. The only technical issue might be if both routers assign an IP address in the same range, then one of them has to be changed. You can't have both routers assigning something in the 192.168.0.x range. One would have to be changed to 192.168.1.x, or something higher. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
gadworx
Level 7

Jump to solution

Appreciated! The router method may be my only choice. I am curious though about that will work so do you know?  What I am meaning is that the Roku will request 720p video, but if I limit the bandwidth with a router, it will still be requesting 720p. So if that is the case, then it will still be buffering and pausing?

The one Ruko App that works well is YouTube as I can set the frame resolution to download independent of what the TV resolution is. We regularly watch 240p YouTube video and is fine and plays great. Often we can go higher. What I need is Roku to give this option globally somehow. Bascially, Roku is a YouTube only player for us. Sometimes Amazon works for us (with is adaptive method), so maybe the router would help with these apps. 

Anyway, I am wondering if the App is requesting 720p that it would buffer and pause anyway?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

I've never configured a router to set bandwidth limits, but it should be fairly straightforward. Basically, when the router reduces the permitted bandwidth, the Roku and the streaming site should recognize the limit as the Internet speed for the device. So, again in theory, the site will only stream at that speed. So, if you set a limit of 5 Mbps in the router for the Roku, no adaptive site should try to send any higher of a rate, and there should be no buffering.

I could see the value of this for some users, but I've honestly never seen a streaming device with such an ability. The Shield is far more capable than any Roku, but it has no such control that I know of. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos