Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toast_sdfasdf
Level 7

How do I prevent roku from changing the backgrounds?

Jump to solution

I have a roku 3. I want your company to stop changing my flipping background on my device. Stay out and get out, it's pretty intrusive and I don't want it happening.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: How do I prevent roku from changing the backgrounds?

Jump to solution

@toast_sdfasdf 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about how to disable the holiday theme changes, visit our Support page here: How do I change the theme pack to adjust the look of the Roku® interface?

Thanks,
Danny

Additional resources that you might find helpful:

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@toast_sdfasdf 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about how to disable the holiday theme changes, visit our Support page here: How do I change the theme pack to adjust the look of the Roku® interface?

Thanks,
Danny

Additional resources that you might find helpful:

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
marknpt
Level 9

Jump to solution

Ditto for me, sick of Roku deciding to change things regardless whether I want it or not. Just sick of it.

And Danny, your answer does not apply, mine was set to not change and yet Roku does it anyway. 

Stop, I don't want vote BS, holiday **bleep** and so forth. You make us buy these devices, so they are ours. Stop.

Davefowler
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same problem on multiple rokus and I'm fed up with it. I see no one from Roku actually offered a solution. Just run around. I've changed my living room tv to a fire stick when the Roku in there died. This was the deciding factor for replacing it with a fire stick. If Roku would actually like to supply a remedy I'm all ears and eagerly awaiting a soultion. I'm sick of tech intruding and taking control of our media.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Davefowler 

I have my all of my Roku devices settings for Season Themes to Off. It never changes mine. Double check your settings.

Once you've confirmed they are set that way, pick the theme you want. I use Roku default, with purple background, the out of the box setting, but use whatever you wish, of course.

The only other thing I can think of that would change background settings/themes would be some screen savers. I use the Roku default screen savers, usually the clock. If you have some other, particularly weather or news, some can affect the theme. Some apps also include screen savers as a "feature." I've not seen any app pull that stunt in a while, but it has happened in the past. I just don't recall which apps did that.

For now, re-check your settings. Don't say "I already checked them." Check them again. Make sure. Double sure.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Irritated32
Level 8

Jump to solution

Please answer the question asked!

We obviously know how to change it since Roku continually negates our effort by changing it for ad revenue... 

1. Can wallpaper, theme and/or background be changed and STAY... permanently?

2. How?

3. If not, do we need to cancel membership/subscription?

4. Or simply purchase any other NON Roku television!?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Irritated32 

1. Yes.

2. Settings > Themes > Seasonal themes > Off

3. Roku doesn’t charge a subscription to have a Roku device? Whoever is charging you a subscription isn’t Roku.

4. Sure. Or if you really want a different platform, just get a device (Apple TV, Fire TV, Chromecast, Android/Google TV device, etc.) and plug it in to an HDMI port on the Roku TV. You can then configure the Roku TV to launch to an input on power up if you like; power up and Apple TV (or whatever) displays.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
QueenChloe
Level 7

Jump to solution

I think the issue is when Roku changes the background after you have searched or watched a show.  For instance, I searched"Making the Cut," and then my background automatically changed to Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn.  I didn't make this change - Roku just did it.  After spending an hour trying to change it by adjusting every setting I could find, I finally restarted Roku and POOF, it went back to the default theme.  It's annoying that Roku can change the wallpaper without my permission.

Irritated32
Level 8

Jump to solution

How do you reset it?

0 Kudos
Irritated32
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just prior the Xmas ROKU changed my background AGAIN. Settings no longer shows "THEME"?! SO TIRED OF ROKU WASTING MY TIME!!!

0 Kudos