Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daz1138
Level 8

Hisense Roku TV 4K Picture Dark after 9.4 update

After the 9.4 update I have been having issues with the picture on my Hisense 58” Roku TV and Dolby Vision.  Prior to the 9.4 update I had no issues with the picture. 
It started a day after the 9.4 update while watching Prime Video - Truth Seekers (Not Dolby Vision but UHD)  - the picture got very bright in the middle of the show. I stopped and restarted the show and it came back very dark. I checked other apps and Netflix had the same problem on Dolby Vision content. Disney+ was fine. 
I got the 4190 update last night and still had the issue this morning with the same program on Prime Video. Read the post about changing the Gamma setting (from 2.2 to 2.0) and that fixed it. 
I went to Disney+ to watch Mandalorian (Dolby Vision) and the picture was VERY dark not like it was just a few days ago. Only difference was the 4190 update. I made some setting changes and the picture was better; changed Gamma settings picture still dark, changed picture setting from DV Dark to DV Normal better but still very dark. 
I’m not sure what changed with 9.4 that is causing the darkness in the picture but it is pretty bad. I have even gone back and reset all my picture setting to factory default and it is still dark. I wish I had before and after pictures to send you but was not expecting this problem. 
I am not having this problem on my Samsung UHD TV with Roku Ultra LT connected. 

58” Hisense Roku TV
Roku Ultra LT
Vizio SB3651N-H6 5.1 surround SoundBar
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Hisense Roku TV 4K Picture Dark after 9.4 update

@daz1138 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-can you provide screenshots of the issue that you are see

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
daz1138
Level 8

sorry I took so long to get back....

Here is the information you requested. 

Roku TV: C232X

Hisense Model: 58R6+

Serial Number: X0010026T6PC

Software Version: 9.4.0 Build 4192-94

Device ID: S01MH056T6PC

i have been trying to duplicate the issue but have not been able to on the shows I had the problem with. Since I had the problem I received an update to build 4192. The best example of the issue was with Truth Seekers on Prime Video. Now when I try it my TV does not switch to HDR on that and other shows on Prime Video. Not all shows only some. It is almost as if the OS is having trouble decoding some HDR signals. Which may have been what was causing the original problem too. Electric Dreams on Prime Video switches to HDR and the picture is fine but Truth Seekers and Upload which are both UHD HDR programming do not switch to HDR. I tested this with a Chromecast with Google TV plugged into this TV and both shows switch to HDR when played on the Chromecast but do not when played through the Roku built into the TV. I do not remember any of these types of issues prior to the 9.4 upgrade. Let me know if you need me to run through some other tests. And Mandalorian on Disney+ has been fine since the update to build 4192. 

58” Hisense Roku TV
Roku Ultra LT
0 Kudos
daz1138
Level 8

I was able to duplicate the washed out picture. The first attached picture is the images washed out. I stop the video, return to the play video screen and restarted and got the second image. If get a video with the HDR working and very dark I will post those images. This is from episode 8 of Truth Seekers on Prime Video 0 to 9 seconds in. It is a video in 4K with HDR but HDR is not working. 

Ep 8 Truth Seekers on Prime Video - Washed out imageEp 8 Truth Seekers on Prime Video - Washed out image

Same video Corrected image no HDRSame video Corrected image no HDR

58” Hisense Roku TV
Roku Ultra LT
0 Kudos
daz1138
Level 8

the issue id is pc-494-861

the prime video version is 11.4 - 2020092816

853C6C64-8A2C-442F-9B3C-9CB5046FC94B.jpeg

Report TrackerReport Tracker

Dark ImageDark Image

58” Hisense Roku TV
Roku Ultra LT
0 Kudos
daz1138
Level 8

It appears that the issue is now limited to Prime Video content. I just had the same issue with “Troop Zero” on Prime video. Over the past few days I have watched HDR content on Netflix and Disney+ without issue. 

58” Hisense Roku TV
Roku Ultra LT
0 Kudos