Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

External memory / storage slot?

Hi All,

I'm looking to get a Roku, but I have a decent digital library as well.  Are there any models with a memory card slot of some sort where I could put my video library on a memory card, and attach it to my Roku?  I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: External memory / storage slot?

Only the USB on the Roku Ultra, the micro sdcard slot is for storing extra channels, but usually causes more problems then it's worth.  The USB slot is 2.0, you can see my post here:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/8TB-Terabyte-Hard-Drive-to-USB/m... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: External memory / storage slot?

@TechBot wrote:

Hi All,

I'm looking to get a Roku, but I have a decent digital library as well.  Are there any models with a memory card slot of some sort where I could put my video library on a memory card, and attach it to my Roku?  I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

Thanks!

To only way to directly connect an external storage device to a Roku and play media from it is using USB. And the only Roku with a USB connection for that is the Ultra. There are a few devices with mini-USB connections, but those are power only and won't recognize an external storage device. There are a few Roku devices with an SD slot, but as mentioned it's only for channel storage. You can't play anything from an SD card. 

Also, Roku doesn't support a lot of audio and video codecs or containers. If your media isn't compatible you need to stream it from a device on your network offering DLNA streaming and powerful enough to perform transcoding. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos