Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Does Roku Streaming Stick+ support HLG?

"fxv1" wrote:
There are two versions of the ROKU4, any of them capable of HDR and HLG

The North America Roku 4 is not capable of HDR, let alone HLG. And there's only one version here. Are you saying that the UK has two different versions of the 4? The Wikipedia section does not list any such versions, but then it might not contain non-NA models. 
Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
justinhow
Level 7

I can personally confirm that the Roku Streaming Stick+ does play back the HLG 4K BBC Blu Planet II. I have tested it on an LG TV in the UK.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

"justinhow" wrote:
I can personally confirm that the Roku Streaming Stick+ does play back the HLG 4K BBC Blu Planet II. I have tested it on an LG TV in the UK.

That's good to know, and hopefully means that when HLG content becomes available in North America we can get a software update to support it. Thanks for the confirmation!  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
justinhow
Level 7

OK - now I am trying to play the BBC UHD stream again on the Roku Streaming Stick+ and can not get it to go to HDR/HLG.
It appears to be UHD but LG does not see HDR/HLG.
Weird.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 10

"atc98092" wrote:
hopefully means that when HLG content becomes available in North America we can get a software update to support it.

Is HLG the HDR standard pushed by BBC/NHK for live broadcasts, since it doesn't require any metadata?

I wonder how much it'll be supported in US. Traditional OTA, cable, or also OTT live TV? Probably not relevant to on-demand streaming (Netflix, etc)?
0 Kudos
justinhow
Level 7

As I understand HLG is the only going HDR standard that can be combined into a single data stream that broadcasters need.
It is ignored by sets that don't support it, but interpreted by end devices that support HLG.
When you are using a broadcast system (rather than on-demand streaming) this is a massive advantage. Broadcasters need a single data stream that any device can use where as on-demand streamers (e.g. Netflix, Amazon) can send the appropriate stream tailored to each specific end user device (HD, UHD, HDR10, Dolby Vision etc).
Therefore I think HLG is likely to get wide support eventually.
0 Kudos
CaptainMoody
Level 8

Has anybody managed to stream Blue Planet 2 in UHD HLG via iPlayer on the Roku Streaming Stick + ?
0 Kudos
Yellbean
Level 7

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 17

@Yellbean wrote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/09/30/fox-sports-nfl-4k-hdr-fiasco-is-an-embarrassment-...

Good to be a dud, used to be a dude (clever migration, stripped the last letter of my username)

"The most embarrassing problem was the way that Fox Sports viewers using Apple TV and Roku devices couldn’t get to watch the Eagles v Packers game in HDR, despite Fox specifically stating before the game that such devices WOULD support the HDR feed."

Actually, they (FoxSports) specifically stated they wouldn't (though they didnt emphasize it until later), however, none of the media articles emphasized this important detail until a day or two before the game, and even then they somewhat hid/minimized it.  Part FoxSport's fault part media reporting fault.

"But the reason it didn’t work is actually so simple it’s excruciating: Fox Sports broadcast the game using the HLG HDR format, when Apple TV and many Roku devices don’t support the HLG format."

Couldn't be more technically wrong/inaccurate. Both the Roku HDR-capable products and the ATV4K support HLG as of 2018/2019, with associated firmware/software updates (RokuOS 9.)

"Did Fox Sports not understand the differences between the HLG format (predominantly used in live broadcasting) and the industry standard HDR10 format supported by Apple TV and Roku streaming devices? Or did it not know that some of the devices it was claiming would be able to show the NFL game in HDR couldn’t actually support the HLG format?"

They did, however, the author of this article doesnt have accurate/correct information about HLG support in Roku and ATV4K products, and its not entirely his fault, as neither company makes any effort to inform/advertise this fact (author even acknowledges later that the ATV4K products had "hidden" support 2 years ago).

The issue is that the FoxSports app hasn't been updated on either device to support HLG, and FoxSports didn't make that clear from the get-go, instead helping the media to bury the lede about that most important salient fact in their zeal to claim a "first 4K HDR" broadcast...

"You" can test the HLG capability of your HDR-capable Roku (assuming you have both RokuOS and RMP updated) with RMP and the following LG-provided test file:

https://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

It's more than the Roku supporting HLG, the display has to support it as well. I think the Samsung NU7100 I just bought supports it, but I'm almost positive my older Samsung JU7100 doesn't and I doubt my Sharp Roku TV does either. 

From what I've read, 4K TV broadcast will be using HLG instead of HDR because of some technical reason that makes it far more practical for broadcast. So you can expect the newest TVs to support HLG. I just don't know what sort if support is available for current models. Hopefully it can be added with a firmware update. 

Dan
0 Kudos