Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

DLNA Streaming

I need to replace my ancient WD TV Live and I am considering a Roku Express (I don't have a 4K TV).

I can't find a downloadable manual and this product doesn't qualify for online support, a bit worrying.

Will it stream video/pictures/music from a Plex Server?

Is there a manual or guide available on the subject please so I can check what codecs it supports?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: DLNA Streaming

If your Plex server is powerful enough it can transcode anything into a compatible format.  There is a Plex channel (client) you can get for the Roku itself.  This article lists the supported codecs:

https://support.roku.com/article/208754908-how-to-use-roku-media-player-to-play-your-videos-music-an...

@atc98092is the DLNA expert around here if you go that route.

Highlighted
Level 20

Morning all!

Yes, the Express will stream from a Plex server without issue. Codec support isn't really a concern when using a media streaming server, as almost all will transcode on the fly.

One bit of clarification: Plex and Emby are not by default DLNA servers. They have a propitiatory format that will stream to dedicated apps (channels on a Roku). However, they both do also support DLNA as a side benefit, for players that don't have dedicated apps. But Roku players can also stream from DLNA servers that don't offer a dedicated app. The Roku Media Player will connect to any DLNA server, and in general does a fine job. It's not as fancy of a user interface, compared to Plex or Emby, but it does the job.

As to what media a Roku device supports, this page is the official support information. However, it's not completely accurate, as Roku devices also support the TS container (.TS, .M2TS). Be careful with the audio codecs as well, if you aren't using an AVR or soundbar.

EDIT: I didn't notice that @renojim had already included the link. Well, it's still early in the morning, so that's my excuse... Smiley Very Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@atc98092How do you set up Plex on Roku as a general DLNA player? I tried using the manual settings to set the IP address and port for my DLNA server (Universal Media Server on Ubuntu 20.04), but then Plex just dies whenever I try to start it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@NoWeb wrote:

@atc98092How do you set up Plex on Roku as a general DLNA player? I tried using the manual settings to set the IP address and port for my DLNA server (Universal Media Server on Ubuntu 20.04), but then Plex just dies whenever I try to start it.

The Plex channel on a Roku device can only connect to a Plex server. It is not a DLNA client. But you can install Plex server on a Linux system. You could either replace your UMS install, or let them both reside together. I run Serviio and Plex on the same computers with no problem. If you are feeding other DLNA devices, Plex now has their DLNA service enabled by default when you install Plex Server on your media computer. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

@NoWeb wrote:

The plex client uses its own protocol and will not connect to DLNA.   The server side can act as a DLNA server, though - and should be easy to install on Ubuntu, either along with or as a replacement for your universal media server.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@atc98092  Thanks for your reply. I misread "server" for "player" in an earlier post of yours, hence my confusion. I'll look into setting up a plex server on my Linux box.

0 Kudos