Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chuck138
Level 8

Change button to open ad from play button to the asterisk

The scrolling scene screensavers are great but the ads being opened with the play button is a terrible design choice. The button to open the ads that scroll by should be the asterisk button. The play button should just resume whatever you’re playing.

I have an older plasma so I need the screensavers to come on pretty quickly and I’ll click the play button to try and resume what I’ve paused only to have the app close and to open or download a new one. It drives me crazy lol

Labels (2)
7 REPLIES 7\
GreenGremlin
Level 7

Re: Change button to open ad from play button to the asterisk

Yes! This is so annoying. I pause a video for a few minutes and end up accidentally opening an ad when trying to resume the video. This is so incredibly unintuitive!

Strega
Level 16

I use one of Roku's clock screen savers.  They have no ads, so pressing play just goes back to whatever I paused.

Chuck138
Level 8

Yeah I've started using the Roku logo screensaver for the same reason. Which works but I did really like trying to spot all the Easter eggs in the themed ones. 😕

Glad to have a work around but I stand by my original suggest. The click on ad button really should be the * button.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I agree that it's very annoying, but just get in the habit of never using the Play/Pause button to dismiss a screensaver and you won't have any problems.  Press one of the arrow buttons, or Back, or *, or whatever and then press Play/Pause once the screensaver is gone.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Chuck138
Level 8

That's not really realistic especially when you use other devices regularly. That was my first work around but I couldn't break the habit and decided it was better just use a boring screensaver so there wouldn't be ads that could be opened.

It's like saying there's a missing step in a staircase and the solution is to just make sure you always skip that step. Sure most of the time you can make a conscious decision to avoid it but sometimes you won't.

The solution shouldn't be to avoid the problem, it should be to fix it. It's not a major problem but it is bad UX that should be improved.

Fuzzicles
Level 7

The solution to bad design that goes against the majority of people's intuition is not to create new habits. It's the job of GUI designers to take into account what people will naturally do when using their product. I know you're trying to be helpful, but the review was not "how do I resume play" it's "this is bad design". If your response were to give a reason why it's not bad design, then fine. But don't admit it's bad then say, essentially, just suck it up. That's not helpful to anyone

Strega
Level 16

The rules of good design change a bit when you're talking about ads.  After all, the advertiser is the customer and you need to keep the customer happy. Everyone expects most/many people to be annoyed by ads and that's quite acceptable (vs the money they bring in.)  The trick is to not annoy them so much that most/enough people go away.  In this case, they can go away by simply selecting a different screen saver, so Roku doesn't have to worry about losing device/sub customers when those users get annoyed at a particular screen saver. 

Of course, I have no idea what percentage of Roku users actually switch to a non-ad screen saver or how much more money the ads bring in when the "obvious button" takes you to the advertised channel.  But Roku knows, so I'm guessing they've probably got it dialed in pretty well.