Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Buy Roku stick in US as a gift for friend in Germany. Will it work in Germany?

Jump to solution

Guys, maybe somebody had this experience.... I want to bring a Roku stick with me to Germany for my friend.. Does TV system matters.... US vs Europe... Common sense tells me that probably it should not be an issue as all that is needed is a decent WiFi download speed, USB and HDMI ports on TV...

...still some doubts are bugging me... Your thoughts and advice are highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Buy Roku stick in US as a gift for friend in Germany. Will it work in Germany?

Jump to solution

Will it work? It should. With older analog TV there might have been an issue but with digital TV I would expect it to link up. Don't forget that a US version isn't going to come with a power adapter that will plug into a European outlet.

Now, will you be able to watch anything on it? That is the harder question. For channels that don't have any geographical restrictions, you'll be fine. If the player is linked to an account based in the US, it won't have access to channels specific to Germany, and many US channels won't work because you're not located in the US. If you use it with an account created in Germany, then it should work fine for whatever is available there. But you might have issues with channels such as Netflix, Prime Video, or other subscription services. They only have permission to stream in certain countries, and Germany may or may not be one they are allowed. Unless someone that lives there can offer more detailed information, about all you can do is to try it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Buy Roku stick in US as a gift for friend in Germany. Will it work in Germany?

Jump to solution

Will it work? It should. With older analog TV there might have been an issue but with digital TV I would expect it to link up. Don't forget that a US version isn't going to come with a power adapter that will plug into a European outlet.

Now, will you be able to watch anything on it? That is the harder question. For channels that don't have any geographical restrictions, you'll be fine. If the player is linked to an account based in the US, it won't have access to channels specific to Germany, and many US channels won't work because you're not located in the US. If you use it with an account created in Germany, then it should work fine for whatever is available there. But you might have issues with channels such as Netflix, Prime Video, or other subscription services. They only have permission to stream in certain countries, and Germany may or may not be one they are allowed. Unless someone that lives there can offer more detailed information, about all you can do is to try it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post