Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Block others from using universal remote on phone

Can you block other Roku mobile universal remote from taking control of tv? Can I block another person phone from becoming a universal remote for my tv?

5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Block others from using universal remote on phone

This would make a good feature request.

At this time I dont believe you can I may be wrong.

The old RF standard remotes didnt interfere with each other

But the new IR ones can.

Ask these guys @atc98092 or @Tivoburkee

Might depend on the Model of your TV what is it?

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

For someone to control your roku via the cellphone app they would have to be on the same internet network and password. Only way is to change the password and not give to anyone else. If its household account, get your own wifi router. 

Edmund
Highlighted
Level 21

Yep, no way to block a phone app that's on the same network. You can disable all devices from connecting, but then you can't even use the desired one. 

I just checked the settings on one of my Roku TVs. Under "Control by mobile apps", there's three options: Default, Permissive and Disabled. I don't know what permissive might do, but perhaps it requires an acceptance at the device before a phone app can be used. You'd have to try it I guess, unless Roku has an information page somewhere on their web site. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 10

@atc98092 

Where did you find that setting?  I can give that a try as I've wondered about the random access from the mobile app as well.  I suspect you are right, that permissive would prompt a manual acceptance to the connection request.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Karmagedon wrote:

@atc98092 

Where did you find that setting?  I can give that a try as I've wondered about the random access from the mobile app as well.  I suspect you are right, that permissive would prompt a manual acceptance to the connection request.

The only device I can view at the moment is one of my Roku TVs. On that particular one, it's under Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Control by Mobile apps.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos