Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Aspect Ratio

In the last 2 weeks, Roku has been automatically changing the aspect ratio on all of my TV's. I went into the Roku settings and took it off 'Auto' thinking that would help, but it didn't. It's very frustrating. How do I get it to stop making the picture SO big??

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Aspect Ratio

Is this happening on all Roku channels or just specific ones?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I mostly watch Hulu, and it's on everything I watch on Hulu.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

The only Roku players with aspect ratio adjustments are the very few that support analog outputs. There are no current models that offer such support. The last player with analog outputs was Express+ (3910). And even with those the only aspect ratio adjustment was for 4:3 or 16:9 size. No Roku has ever offered any other aspect ratio adjustments. 

Either the channel you are watching is sending the video at the wrong aspect ratio, or someone is hitting a button on your TV remote that changes the aspect radio of the display. Depending on the TV  brand, there's a setting that accepts what is being sent by the external device. It might be labeled Just, Standard, Auto, or some other name. But the TV is what is controlling that. About the only thing that might cause the Roku to send the image wrong is a defect of some kind. If possible, could you try the Roku connected to a different TV?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

I don't have the TV remotes out, I just have the Roku remotes. Both TV's are fairly new... One is 3 years old, the other I just got about 2 months ago.  I mostly just watch Hulu. I have had my Roku's hooked up for awhile .. a year or so, and this just started happening the last couple of weeks. So, it's kinda strange. 

0 Kudos