Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
poguec
Level 7

Aren't screensavers all free now?

Maybe I dreamt this but I swear it was announced that all screensavers were free now however when I go look to add one it's by purchase only.  Did I remember seeing this post wrong?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
blade_005
Level 10

Re: Aren't screensavers all free now?

"poguec" wrote:
Maybe I dreamt this but I swear it was announced that all screensavers were free now however when I go look to add one it's by purchase only.  Did I remember seeing this post wrong?

Roku made Home Screen Themes free. Not sure about screensavers.

Free Roku Home Screen Themes
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

People incorrectly interchange the words "screensavers" and "wallpapers" which are two completely different things.

Roku themes are kinda like wallpapers on your computer desktop (though fonts and other elements do change, too).. people sometimes call these screensavers. They are not. Roku has made these free.

Screensavers run after a set amount of time of inactivity, to save pixels from "burning in" on CRT screens. This is not a concern on modern LCDs or newer plasmas. Hence the term "screen saver". These are not all free.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"jeffrok" wrote:
People incorrectly interchange the words "screensavers" and "wallpapers" which are two completely different things.

Roku themes are kinda like wallpapers on your computer desktop (though fonts and other elements do change, too).. people sometimes call these screensavers. They are not. Roku has made these free.

Screensavers run after a set amount of time of inactivity, to save pixels from "burning in" on CRT screens. This is not a concern on modern LCDs or newer plasmas. Hence the term "screen saver". These are not all free.

I think some of the themes do include a screensaver, and that may also be contributing to the issue. Or, I'm just as confused as everyone else. 50-50.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
poguec
Level 7

Themes were free, I recalled correctly something was free just not what it was.  Thanks all!
0 Kudos