Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Airplay update on device but No Audio

Jump to solution

So, the Airplay update is installed, but it’s unimpressive. Here’s what I get streaming from an old iPhone SE with iOS 14x:

Podcast: streams properly, but quickly stops displaying the image

Music: doesn’t work at all

YouTube: won’t allow me to choose Roku from the device list

Amazon Music: streams properly but no album art displays. 

Prime Video: works

Based on these results it seems slightly useful for what I want. Amazon seems to exploit Airplay better than Apple does.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: No sound from HBO Max via Airplay

Jump to solution

Update: took some tinkering but I figured out the issue. The Roku audio setting was set to DDS. When I changed this to Auto-detect the sound played just fine! 

I suspect many people are having the same issue. Those having video issue may need to change the display setting to auto as well. Hope that helps someone! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Airplay update on device but No Audio

Jump to solution

Sounds like a dumb solution lol I was able to get airplay 2 working by switching from a wired connection to a wireless connection. I am able to mirror my screen and do airplay with the photos app YouTube app and the music app etc. the only problem im experiencing now Is that when I do airplay from the music app or any music app no audio plays and the connection disconnects. I have tried it on my iPad iPhone and MacBook, all worked. Try seeing if switching to a wireless connection works. Oh and I am on a TCL Roku TV six series just got the update today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Sangotade wrote:

the only problem im experiencing now Is that when I do airplay from the music app or any music app no audio plays and the connection disconnects.

I am having the exact same issue. Roku Premiere Plus Model 4630 connected via WiFi to my router. iPhone XS Max running iOS 14.0.1 also connected via WiFi on the same 5 GHz band. 

When I start playing a song in Apple Music it shows up on the TV on the Roku but I hear no audio and then after 1-2 seconds it disconnects with no error reported.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

This is the kind of issue you should be reporting directly to Apple/Roku - you might also consider enabling logging in AirPlay itself (Settings/Apple AirPlay and HomeKit/About AirPlay/AirPlay Logging=enabled) to assist with more automatic/automated debugging.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

How do I report it directly? Exact same problem also happens when I play Apple Music on an iPad Air running iOS 12.4.4 and try to AirPlay it to the Roku Premiere Plus.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

How do I report it directly? Exact same problem also happens when I play Apple Music on an iPad Air running iOS 12.4.4 and try to AirPlay it to the Roku Premiere Plus.

Roku:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options

Apple:  https://getsupport.apple.com/ or https://discussions.apple.com/welcome

Don't forget to enable logging as I described...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I tried with the volume control on the phone and on the TV and surround sound remote, none of these options were able to enable any sound from HBOMax.  Hulu, Prime, Netflix and Disney + were all able to Airplay with sound.  Frustrating!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@TheTruth wrote:

I tried with the volume control on the phone and on the TV and surround sound remote, none of these options were able to enable any sound from HBOMax.  Hulu, Prime, Netflix and Disney + were all able to Airplay with sound.  Frustrating!

I'll try a couple of those channels after I'd done working for the day. The only Roku I have access to right now is my Sharp TV, which is my work computer monitor for teleworking. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@TheTruth wrote:

When I initially started using the mirroring feature, I had the silent switch (switch just above volume buttons on iPhone XR) on my phone enabled, so when I flipped that switch then sound started working on mirroring. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@TheTruth wrote:

I didn't notice you were only issues with the audio on HBO Max. I don't subscribe to that, so can't test it. Sound was fine on both Prime Video and YouTube. I could even toggle the captions on/off while a movie was streaming from Prime. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos