Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Airplay 2 support for 4K Ruku devices??

I was wondering if anyone knows which Roku devices available to buy now will definitely support Apple Airplay 2 in the new update coming out soon?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Airplay 2 support for 4K Roku devices??

I believe the press release mentioned it coming on the 4K devices, so that should be the Premiere, Stick+ and Ultra. But until 9.4 officially rolls out we won't really know what existing players will get it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Yeah, I'm worried the inexpensive Premier won't get the update for that very reason.  Well, at least it's inexpensive...  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Airplay 2 support for 4K Ruku devices??

Sooner the better for Roku to post the list of AirPlay 2 devices that will be supported in OS 9.4 release. Definitely helps in buying decision. Hope, Streaming Stick+ 4K is included.

Highlighted
Level 12

@atc98092 wrote:

I believe the press release mentioned it coming on the 4K devices, so that should be the Premiere, Stick+ and Ultra. But until 9.4 officially rolls out we won't really know what existing players will get it. 

I believe AirPlay 2 and HomeKit are registered trademarks of Apple.  If my understanding is correct, Apple requires devices to have each device which are associated with use of these trademarks must be certified by Apple.

It seems likely that on-going drama with HBO Max forced Roku to announce early without having completed certificated for any specific models yet.  If that is the case, Roku themselves may not know for complete certainty what Apple will authorize being capable of Apple's features.  While Roku would know what devices they intend to get certified, they may not be allowed to state that yet.

Highlighted
Level 8

That makes sense, and I'll probably not be able to get it on the $39 one I just ordered, but I'll at least be able to circumvent the Spectrum Cable box with their app and hopefully be able to watch the Redzone channel without issue this Sunday.  fingers crossed!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

This is one reason I will wait to buy or not Roku's Streaming Stick+ 4K device. Need for 3 TVs in my house. Don't want to regret that Roku stick it to me by not supporting AirPlay 2 on Stick+. I am sure OS 9.4 is going through Beta testing so someone would know about the AirPlay 2 list.