Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katycorp
Visitor

sorting an array?

Is there any built-in function to sort an array, or even better, an associative array on the value or key? I didn't see it in any of the docs. I'm having to use the registry to keep track of the search history since the app is specialized enough that using the global search history doesn't make sense. Since I can only show about 9 items, I'd like to order them by the number of times they were searched for.

-Kaitlin
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: sorting an array?

Not part of the SDK itself, but if you look at generalUtils.brs in some of the sample channels, there are some sort routines that can do what you want.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: sorting an array?

"katycorp" wrote:
... to keep track of the search history since the app is specialized enough that using the global search history doesn't make sense. Since I can only show about 9 items, I'd like to order them by the number of times they were searched for.

I think you will do better if instead of keeping number of times something was searched by and sorting history in descending order by that - instead of that, each when an item is searched, put it on top of the list (i.e. do "most recently used" order instead of "most used" order). This won't require sorting and is what traditionally is done in many applications. Sorting by # has the disadvantage of not adapting in time, that is if you searched 10 times for "hero" a year ago, it won't matter you just searched for "vacation" last three times - "hero" be on top of the list
0 Kudos