Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

Re: search in category feed

I was posting something when i saw this last post, in fact i found that it was showing up at the end of the feeds and was posting how i tried moving it around and getting nowhere but yo answered as i was posting! Thanks

i got it working now with my search functions, i cant thank you enough and now i have some other ideas i can use this for.

I hope this helps other people as well, Endless so good to have you on these boards!
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

uh oh Endless....

after i added

if kid.type = "search" then
print "Search"

searchWin = NewSearchWindow()
searchTerm = searchWin.Show()
If searchTerm <> invalid And searchTerm <> "Cancel" Then
'Do search based on searchTerm
End If
else if kid.type = "special_category" then

the search comes up, but as soon as i hit search, it exits and goes back to the poster screen or if i click on one of the "Past Searches" terms, basically anytime i hit the select button

I added the code as you posted here http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=32518&p=202516#p202518
and made it -- search.brs

Now i need to search around for how this search can check results from my server.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

That's not an "uh oh".. that's how it's supposed to work. searchWin.Show() sets the "searchTerm" variable to the value entered on the search screen. You would use that to perform your search... probably want to put up a "Please Wait..." dialog while performing the search and updating the content list. It may be easiest if you actually do the search on your server, and return an RSS feed of the results. That would require minimal code changes on the BrightScript side. Something like "http://my.server.com/rssfeed.php?search=searchTerm".
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

probably want to put up a "Please Wait..." dialog while performing the search and updating the content list.

-- yes thats a great idea, but i want the search results to stay right inside this "subcategory" under the main posterscreen. but as it is now it exits to the main posterscreen on any click

It may be easiest if you actually do the search on your server, and return an RSS feed of the results.

-- yes thats the best idea for my project.

That would require minimal code changes on the BrightScript side. Something like "http://my.server.com/rssfeed.php?search=searchTerm".

-- again how can i keep this feed inside this category and show these results inside this "subcategory" ?

sorry for so many questions but after searching there isn't a lot of info about the search - serverside in the SDK
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Sounds to me like you need to spend some time deciphering just how the videoplayer app works... 😉
I've never used it myself, but based on what I can tell by browsing through the code, I'd move the kid.type = "search" check into the getShowsForCategoryItem function of the appPosterScreen.brs file, and route it to my search RSS instead of the standard static RSS feed URLs.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

I know your using a different method, but similar to your justinTv app...

i just went there to check it out, you have your search and then it leads to a "search results"

Thats exactly what i am looking for

Sounds to me like you need to spend some time deciphering just how the videoplayer app works...

-- love to say i did know but there are so many parts to it. and no real documentation on it

I'd move the kid.type = "search" check into the getShowsForCategoryItem function of the appPosterScreen.brs file,

-- thats what i was trying to do earlier but it was ending up at the end of each feed

and route it to my search RSS instead of the standard static RSS feed URLs.

-- not really sure what you mean here? My category feeds on the server side are not static if thats what your referring to. thats why i need to stick with the video player example as i need to constantly check for new videos being added from the DB.

I have said a million times on these forums and even messages to you, that this brightscript is not something i can understand well, the only place to get info is here and its not easy at times to get the help one needs.

reading the SDK for a novice is so Darn frustrating at times as it only serves to confuse me more.

so please try to understand and know i appreciate all your help and examples.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
-- not really sure what you mean here? My category feeds on the server side are not static if thats what your referring to. thats why i need to stick with the video player example as i need to constantly check for new videos being added from the DB.

"static" meaning the contents are always for that specific category, rather than returned based on a search query.

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
I have said a million times on these forums and even messages to you, that this brightscript is not something i can understand well, the only place to get info is here and its not easy at times to get the help one needs.

reading the SDK for a novice is so Darn frustrating at times as it only serves to confuse me more.

so please try to understand and know i appreciate all your help and examples.

I understand that, but I'm trying to steer you in the right direction without straight out giving you the answer... for two reasons really.. 1) so you actually start to understand how it works, which will make it a lot easier to make updates moving forward, and 2) because I don't really have the time at the moment to pick apart the videoplayer example to make it work the way you want it to. This isn't really a BrightScript thing, it's a programming logic thing. If you can familiarize yourself with the primary function of each block of code, then it will become pretty obvious where you need to make changes to implement your desired functionality. If you have trouble with writing the BrightScript after that, then it's easy for us to help with that.

That being said, the videoplayer example is pretty complex, so I'm not surprised that you're having trouble figuring it out. If you really want to learn how to do this effectively, then I'd suggest starting with a simpler example and working your way up. Most of the SDK examples use a common style, so taking the time to understand one of the simpler ones (like simplevideoplayer) will go a long way to helping you to decipher the more complicated ones.
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

yes it is complex but its the only one that meets our needs.

it is much easier for myself and I am sure others to actually see something working to understand how it works.

I am not a programmer by trade and doing the best i can.
0 Kudos
maria111
Visitor

Thanks for option)
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

Darn i thought there was gonna be an update!! LOL