Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rokeyboard help needed - email submit

I need to collect a viewers email when they are in my channel. Please let me know what it would cost to get this implemented in to my current public channel: Make Money Online Network

I need to get this done within the next week, please call if possible to discuss Bryan 858-232-3348

Here is an email from RokuJoel

New postby RokuJoel » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:27 pm
Two ways I can think of offhand
1. create a form on your web server an submit the email through that with an http post.
2. use the new sockets functions in brightscript to make a direct smtp connection to your server (must be on a port other than 25 most isp's block that port.)

For the former, there are plenty of scripts on the internet, just use google, and you would use AsyncPostFromString method of roURLTransfer.

For the latter, you would have to spend some time understanding the smtp protocol and implmenting it on roku, probably not that easy to do, but should be possible.

- Joel
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: rokeyboard help needed - email submit

You can use the roKeyboardScreen for users to enter an email address, or you could send them to your website and have them enter an email address in order for the Roku app to continue letting them watch an episode, this would pretty much use the same approach as the linking described in the Device Registration and Linking - send user to your website, have them enter an email address and a unique code. Once the email address and code is entered on your website, you store the unique code in a database on your server along with the email address, and also store the code in the permanent registry on the device. Every time a user tries to play a video, you check if the unique code exists in the registry and you check if it exists on your website, if not, you display the "please go to website and register" screen.

- Joel
0 Kudos

Re: rokeyboard help needed - email submit

That would be REALLY awesome. If anyone is interested in helping me implement it, please provide a bid or give me a call.

Thank you!

Bryan
858-232-3348
0 Kudos