Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: roScreen back buffer and roku internal screensaver

Redrawing everything on the back buffer, swapping buffers, and then redrawing everything on the back buffer again every update of the screen fixes it - however, it updates real slow. Without doing that, the screen misses one refresh/swap buffers call after returning from the screensaver - the code executes as the values change but the swapbuffers doesn't draw anything to the visible screen for that single instance. If you must see my code I'm working with I can send it - but the same problem is here from RokuJim. He has the issue where Finish after the screensaver stops doesn't update the screen at all, and if you change it from finish to swapbuffers then it effectively exhibits the same problem I see with my code - where the background image is gone. Since his code is using a single buffer, swapbuffers is supposed to react the same as Finish but it doesn't - it swaps a magical buffer that shouldn't be there left over from the screensaver execution.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=50313
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

btw - if it makes any difference, I have the roku screensaver set to the default roku logo. When the screensaver turns on at the roku home screen, I see the white Roku logo on a black screen and the logo moves around.
However, with my app running, the screensaver is a plain black screen and no white roku logo appears, ever.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"destruk" wrote:
If you must see my code I'm working with I can send it

I was just thinking I might be able to see how to optimize it, since several people seem to be having the same problem.

- Joel
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"destruk" wrote:
btw - if it makes any difference, I have the roku screensaver set to the default roku logo. When the screensaver turns on at the roku home screen, I see the white Roku logo on a black screen and the logo moves around.
However, with my app running, the screensaver is a plain black screen and no white roku logo appears, ever.

As far as I'm aware, this is true of any screensaver, if the currently running channel is using an roScreen. I hope they have plans to fix that...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Make no mistake - I sincerely appreciate the replies. I think it's 'fixed' for now or at least I can show them a few different solutions and they'll need to pick one they like best.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"TheEndless" wrote:
As far as I'm aware, this is true of any screensaver, if the currently running channel is using an roScreen. I hope they have plans to fix that...

For what it's worth, the screensaver works fine over roScreen on 1st generation boxes running v3.1 of the firmware. I hope they fix it on Roku 2s as well.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"destruk" wrote:
Make no mistake - I sincerely appreciate the replies. I think it's 'fixed' for now or at least I can show them a few different solutions and they'll need to pick one they like best.

I'm glad you found a 'fix', but I'd still call it a bug in the firmware, especially since there's no reason to call SwapBuffers if you're not using double buffering (as I'm doing). I've had to come up with my own hack/kludge to get around the problem.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

It does look like a bug, I'll file one in our database.

- Joel
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Our client only wants to deal with supporting roku 2's with a single 1920x1080 display mode, so yeah, a hack/kludge is necessary. As long as roku 2 still upsamples all content to hi def when set to 1080p then I guess we're fine. Hopefully this visual buffer thing gets fixed. Thanks for filing the bug report.
0 Kudos