Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljunkie
Visitor

roRegistry shared with development environment (7.5 firmware)

I just noticed that firmware 7.5 b4099 shares the registry with standard channels if you have "keyed" your Roku. i.e. the registry is shared between the dev install and standard channel installs that use your dev key. I think I like it 🙂 but it's caused a few oddities while developing. 

1. Can Roku confirm this is expected?
2. If expected, when did this get introduced?
3. Is there a method we can use to know if the device is shared the registry? (2) would help us derive this, but a method is always cleaner. "createobject("roAppInfo").GetDevId()" will allow us to know what dev key was used, but we'd still need to know if the registry is shared.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: roRegistry shared with development environment (7.5 firmware)

This is a feature, as of firmware 7.5.
The sideloaded app behaves as if it is running with the keyed developer ID.
So it uses the registry for that developer ID.
0 Kudos
ljunkie
Visitor

Thanks! I have one more question regarding the firmware version. It looks like something changed in the format, and I think it dates back to 7.1?

https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ifDeviceInfo#ifDeviceInfo-GetVersion()asString
Returns the version number of the Roku Streaming Player firmware running on the device. This is a 13 character string; for example "034.08E01185A".  The third through sixth characters are the major/minor version number ("4.08") and the ninth through twelfth are the build number ("1185").

Note the minor version for 4.8 firmware is 08, as well as 6.2 was "02". Now the 7.5 firmware is "50" instead of "05", or 7.2.2 minor is actually "22". This obviously would mess up any firmware checks a channel dev may use unless we account for the new format.
0 Kudos
ljunkie
Visitor

Still curious about the firmware versioning above, but it does look like a firmware version isn't needed. Simply checking CreateObject("roAppInfo").GetDevId() = "YOUR_DEV_ID" would indicate that the roRegistry is shared. Happy to have Roku confirm this, but I have a few pre 7.5 devices what have been keyed and they return a different dev key.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"ljunkie" wrote:
Note the minor version for 4.8 firmware is 08, as well as 6.2 was "02". Now the 7.5 firmware is "50" instead of "05", or 7.2.2 minor is actually "22". This obviously would mess up any firmware checks a channel dev may use unless we account for the new format.

I noticed and pointed out that last April, see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=94160
There hasn't been comment by somebody from the Co, probably under the "Nunya Business" doctrine :mrgreen:

It seems the Co decided earlier this year to add a 3rd version component - that would be a "patch" number in Semantic Versioning as in MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH+BUILD would be 7.5.0+4101.

Notice this did no break the promise of the roDeviceInfo.GetVersion() documentation, it just kind of muddled the meaning of the "minor" to have 2 components. That should not affect you, unless they at some point break the "monotonicity" (explained in first link).
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Firmware versions are not necessarily monotonic by order of release or exact feature set, with respect to major.minor.dot versioning.
0 Kudos