Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
movingtarget
Visitor

roLocalization problem

Can someone please explain what's wrong here:

BrightScript Debugger> p loc
<Component: roLocalization>
BrightScript Debugger> p loc.GetPluralString
Syntax Error. (runtime error &h02) in $LIVECOMPILE(8)
BrightScript Debugger> p loc.GetLocalizedAsset
Syntax Error. (runtime error &h02) in $LIVECOMPILE(9)

I'm using roLocalization object which should be supported (http://sdkdocs.roku.com/pages/viewpage. ... Id=3114060), and is in fact created. But the ifLocalization interface appears to not exist. How can I fix this? I'm on 5.5.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: roLocalization problem

You're trying to print the results of a method without any parameters or parentheses, which is resulting in a syntax error.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Hm, yeah - BrightScript is funky like that. Depending on your language background, you may expect `obj.method` (no params) to either call the method (Ruby?) or to return a bound method function (Python):
>>> f = 'abcdefgh'.find
>>> f
<built-in method find of str object at 0x2b9620>
>>> f('d')

But it doesn't - and can't blame it for it, because BRS is a different language. I suspect there was a complication in implementing this, so instead a runtime error is thrown (notice how this is not the usual flavor of "Syntax Error. (compile error &h02)").
0 Kudos
movingtarget
Visitor

I was trying to show a sample... But if you insist - this doesn't work either:

BrightScript Debugger> loc = CreateObject("roLocalization")
BrightScript Debugger> p loc
<Component: roLocalization>
BrightScript Debugger> p loc.GetPluralString(2, "1 something", "^n somethings")
Member function not found in BrightScript Component or interface. (runtime error &hf4) in $LIVECOMPILE(9)
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Looks like there was an error in the GetPluralString documentation. It should take 4 parameters. I've corrected it here.

--Mark
0 Kudos