Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ereiamjh3
Visitor

Re: ripping parameters

I have finally figured out HandBrake settings which consistently work - no rebuffering, no A/V sync issues, no aspect issues:

HandBrakeCLI -i /dev/rdisk3 -t 1 -o ~/Desktop/movie.mp4 -f mp4 -m -O -e x264 -x level=30:bframes=0:cabac=0:ref=1:vbv-maxrate=1500:vbv-bufsize=2000:analyse=all:me=umh:subme=6:no-fast-pskip=1 -b 1600 -2 -T -r 29.97 -a 1 -E faac -B 160 -6 stereo -R 48 -w 720 -Y 480

I think the trick to prevent the rebuffering problem was forcing the framerate to 29.97 fps as suggested in another thread.
0 Kudos
bumpus
Visitor

Changing to the 29.97 FPS setting appears to have fixed my problems with some of the longer programs as well.
0 Kudos
bcl
Channel Surfer

This didn't work for me. I tried re-ripping Red Dawn using HandBrake and the 'Normal' setting along with -r 29.97 and it has the re-buffering problem after the hour mark.
0 Kudos
bumpus
Visitor

So far I've had nothing but success with a command line similar to this:

/home/adam/bin/HandBrakeCLI -i "/mnt/video/burn/TMS0NNW1.ISO" -t 1 --angle 1 -c 1-24 -o "/home/adam/TMS0NNW1.mp4" -f mp4 -O  -w 800 -l 480 --detelecine --deinterlace="" --denoise="" -e x264 -b 1500 -2  -T  -r 29.97 -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R Auto -B 160 -D 0 -v 1
0 Kudos
lumaflix
Visitor

Am having a problem with handbrake.
It does not extract vedio in order. All the chapter are out of order.
Any worksrounds ?
0 Kudos
Shlepzig

The problem you are describing, is one I have seen when trying to rip DVDs with an extra layer of protection against ripping. The way I understand the problem is the the DVD directory is intentionally written with errors. These errors cause Handbrake-GTK (and several other ripping programs) to find 99 tracks on the disk. One of these will be the correct one, and the others will be dummies. These errors don't seem to affect a DVD player because it gets instructions from the menu how to find the right data.

Disney DVDs are especially likely to have this extra protection.

I have read that Handbrake reads the track information from the menus and shouldn't have this problem. My experience is that it still has problems. I have also read in the Handbrake support forums that there are more clever and faster solutions to avoid this problem, but I have not been smart enough to make them work.

When I run into this problem I resort to capturing the stream out of VLC (a media player). It takes longer and is certainly processor intensive, but VLC can capture a high-quality stream with numerous options for encoding. VLC plays the disk like a regular DVD player and doesn't seem to have the same issues.

-Shlep'
0 Kudos