Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: "Zombie" channels - how to get rid of them?

"roquoonewbie" wrote:
Isn't the "Zombie" channel phenomenon due to a bug/error in how the manifest file is created and read?

No, it's not a bug - a deliberate decision has been made at some point to not show channels that are missing the [largely obsolete and unused now] bundle-embedded icons.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

I think it is a bug, and i've filed it as such. The mobile team is also looking at adding a way to remove these "zombie" channels via the mobile app.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
I think it is a bug, and i've filed it as such. The mobile team is also looking at adding a way to remove these "zombie" channels via the mobile app.

Sure, it will be best if this "feature" gets fixed.
Which is as simple as to "stop hiding channels which are not manifesting mm_icon_focus_hd/mm_icon_focus_sd/mm_icon_side_hd/mm_icon_side_sd" - but instead show them with an "empty" icon (be it square with a question mark, or the loading icon* - who cares). This way the user can delete them on the player (or in mobile app, if for some odd reason they choose to).

What i meant is that at some point of time (likely long, long time ago - in fw3) someone has decided that if these attributes are missing, it's not kosher/halal to show the channel in the lineup. And then the "new UI" came and brought the unfortunate potential of "zombies". So in effect, it's a defect caused by two design decisions on top of each other. I was trying to drive the point home that well-intended things can have unexpected consequences.

Re smartphone-app-only solution, that would be an ugly band-aid. To start with, currently ECP /query/apps does not return the zombies. Yes, that can be patched with a web service but what about users w/o smartphone? When starting to patch patches on top of patches, that's wrong - one should zoom out and see the big picture instead.

(*) right now e.g. "Mazes" shows in my lineup without its icon - instead it's a transparent thumbnail with a progress-semicircle, which i am guessing remained from when player last restated and was trying to load the images and failing on that particular channel. Point is, there is already code and "default" icon of sorts to use when needed.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

I'd like to report another run-in with an "undead" channel.

This time i had a finger in the zombie pie. I created a private channel for testing and uploaded a bundle which was broken (due to data transfer means). So naturally, the "privately-published" result did not work. It exhibits the known behavior - on Settings>System>System Update it says "Channel update|Adding ..." then "... software is up to date.|OK" ... and nothing happens, the channel is not added. Repeat updates show repeat install attempts, etc ad nauseam - no way to remove from account.

Generally if someone complains like that, i say "it's your fault - go fix it" - and that applies to myself too, natch'. But there are some "aggravating circumstances":
  • First, i couldn't easily replace the bundle since it is one of those cases i cannot self-sign the BIN and it has to be sent to the Co. for "blessing", subject to some wait.

• Second, i got unexpectedly an "eager beaver" tester who sniffed out and tried to add the channel, ending up in the same "living dead" situation

• And third, this time the old trick of "go find a legacy player and delete the channel from its Channel Store" does not work, channel does not show up there (because firmware/hardware req's?)

So anyway... just want to say it would be nice - and helpful - to be able to see list of all channels on account somewhere (like say account in web browser or/and ChannelStore on player) and be able to delete some of them there, that will cover the zombies.
0 Kudos
Matthew1471
Reel Rookie

Roku Support asked me to install lib-webkit (private channel code LTPVQM6).. I confirmed this fixed an issue with BBC iPlayer.. but now I have this zombie channel continually updating when I do a check for updates too...

... I really want to remove this from my account. I asked Roku support and they just said it’s important and has to stay, I think the channel is typically part of the OS now which is why it’s not being removed but the Check For Updates seems to keep trying to update it.

Anyone have any ideas on how to delete this Zombie please?

0 Kudos