Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaredcasper
Reel Rookie

"Disable" private screen saver

It seems when an app has a RunScreenSaver() function, roku will use that for the screen saver when the app is running*, and if that function returns, the default "Roku" logo screen saver is used. It is possible to have the configured screensaver (some other screen saver that is configured in the system screen saver settings) run when that function returns instead of the default Roku logo one. This would allow an app to have an option of using the system configured screensaver instead of the private one, or only using the private one in certain circumstances.

* Speaking of which, is this formally documented anywhere? I only see this from various examples, but can't see that in any documentation. The manifest file docs list the screensaver_title and screensaver_private attributes, but those don't even seem necessary (i.e. if the app has a RunScreenSaver function, it will be used regardless of the presence of those attributes in the manifest)?
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: "Disable" private screen saver

The short answer is No. If you search the forum you will see that I asked this question recently, and someone asked it before me, and so on. AFAIK its a bug, but who knows what kind of priority it has at Roku.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.