Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
radiocolin
Visitor

private channel installs on 2, will only sideload on 1

A few months ago I made a private channel for my Roku to listen to a radio station I like that eschews Tune In. I just modified the AudioApp.brs example project to use their stream.

I added it to the store as a private channel and have been using it on my Roku 2.

I want to install it on my parents' Roku 1. I go to the owner page, log in to their account, and add the channel with the code. The website says it will be installed, but it never is. It doesn't appear when I enter/exit the store, when I do system > player info and check for updates, or if I just wait 24 hours.

My thought was that maybe there was something in that script that only worked on the Roku 2, but I was able to sideload it to my parents Roku in developer mode and it runs just fine. Obviously I could just leave it like this, but I'd rather add it through the store, since you can't move a sideloaded channel in your lineup.

The "Roku 2" requirement is not checked in the package info, and the minimum firmware is set to 3.1 b104, after a suggestion in the main forum. Previously it was set to the lowest selectable firmware.

The private channel is nj1015 if you want to try it for yourself.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: private channel installs on 2, will only sideload on 1

One of several things could be going on here:

* you might not have zipped the channel properly.
* you might have left-over junk like thumbs.db .DS_Store, _MACOSX in your zip file, remove before zipping and packaging
* Make sure there is a carriage return at the end of your manifest
* you might have accidentally clicked the "convert to cramfs" button, never do that.

Does the channel show up in My Channels on the Roku1? if so, click "go to channel". If you get a memory error, one of the above issues is likely to be the cause.

- Joel
0 Kudos
radiocolin
Visitor

It doesn't show up in my channels. It doesn't show up at all. It doesn't even say its installing when exiting the store. It works just fine on my Roku 2.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

May be a silly question, but are you positive you're logged into the same Roku account as the box when you go to install it via the website?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
radiocolin
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
May be a silly question, but are you positive you're logged into the same Roku account as the box when you go to install it via the website?

Yup. Because I tested the issue of installing private channels with Nowhere TV.
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

I tried installing your channel on an old XDS and it did not show up on the home screen, but it did show up in the My Channels row in the Channel Store. I tend to agree with Joel that something in your manifest or in the way you packaged the channel may be the culprit.
0 Kudos
radiocolin
Visitor

"RokuChris" wrote:
I tried installing your channel on an old XDS and it did not show up on the home screen, but it did show up in the My Channels row in the Channel Store. I tend to agree with Joel that something in your manifest or in the way you packaged the channel may be the culprit.

Ohhh, the my channels in the channel store. I always forget that one is there. I do get a memory error. I repackaged it a second time and now it works. No idea what's different. Thanks for the help gents.
0 Kudos