Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scyber
Visitor

Re: new channnel idea....if you need a new project

"RokuKevin" wrote:
I'd like to understand why.... does anyone have a public hls feed I could point my roku box to that plays on iPhone/iPad but not on Roku??

--Kevin

Another difference between the iOS HLS implementation and the Roku implmentation (at least as of 2.6, I haven't tested again in 2.7) is with relative urls in the m3u8 files. The urls generated by TVersity are relative to the root of the server. The iphone works, Roku does not. Technically I think Roku is following the spec correctly (since it states that all relative urls must be relative to the location of the m3u8 file), but since iOS is the default/reference implementation of HLS it is something to look into.

You can easily create a test case with 2 m3u8 files. For example if the server directory structure looked like this:

/test/ <-location of m3u8 files
/test/files/ <- location of TS files

If the m3u8 files referenced the TS files like this:

files/video-1.ts

It works in both iOS in and the Roku.

If the m3u8 files reference the ts files like this:

/test/files/video-1.ts

iOS will work, while the Roku will try to fetch "/test//test/files/video-1.ts" and get a 404.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

We do not currently support mp3 audio in HLS streams. We'd like to add it though....

If anyone has a publicly accessible .m3u8 that used mp3 audio and works on ios but not Roku, please let us know.

Thanks,

Kevin
0 Kudos

I'm not a devoloper code guy. So is this hockeystreams site a definite no on roku ? Or a maybe, but (need to find a workaround) to make it work situation ?

If no what would it take to support it on roku ?

Could it be supported on the playon private channel ?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"devil.punchbowl" wrote:
I'm not a devoloper code guy. So is this hockeystreams site a definite no on roku ? Or a maybe, but (need to find a workaround) to make it work situation ?

If no what would it take to support it on roku ?

Could it be supported on the playon private channel ?

With the new iStream functionality that they're offering, it certainly sounds like it's possible, but I'm not enough of a hockey fan to pay the subscription price to upgrade to test them out.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos