Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goya
Visitor

moving components from language pdf to components pdf

hi i noticed a number of components are not in components reference, but in language reference.

i was reading forums and i noticed a number of components such as roScreen for 2d games, but when i went to look for them in my component reference i cound not find them.

so i search and i search and could not find. by chance i looked in language reference and to my surprise / relieve i found them in the language reference.

i would think that it would be better to have components documents in chapter 11 of the language reference in the components reference...

I understand that there are a number of language related components such as roAssociatedArray in the language reference, but I think that is where they belong because they are as I said language related.

the other like roRegion are not directly language related and I would think should be moved...

Thanks in advance.

Just trying to make the documentation easier to use... Make things better for newbies, like myself.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: moving components from language pdf to components pdf

Some components listed in the language reference are not included in the roku's command set. This is by design. See "RebootSystem() As Void"
Anyway, I think when 3.0 is out of beta they will do as you suggest for components that are enabled like roScreen.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

The Component Reference in the SDK is specific to the Roku streaming player, whereas the BrightScript Reference is not. I suspect the new components in the BrightScript Reference are core components that are available to all BrightScript based dev platforms (streaming player and BrightSign).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
goya
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
Some components listed in the language reference are not included in the roku's command set. This is by design. See "RebootSystem() As Void"
Anyway, I think when 3.0 is out of beta they will do as you suggest for components that are enabled like roScreen.

hi

i think roScreen is a good thing. the community will be able to create nice games. i cant wait for nice blackjack, thought of porting one from java myself. also i like tower defense, that should not be too hard. what about all those old classic video games, like space invaders, we can have roku invaders...

too bad they dont let developers have access anymore to linux/c, and let us hookup keyboard and mouse, this thing could be modern day atari 400 / commadore 64

the basic is easy enough... maybe they can even add a jit, if you google there are number of open source jits out there, if you look its not very hard to do...

also, the device is inexpensive enough to be able to sell into low income countries... think one laptop per child. what about one roku per community tv, all we need is like browser, keyboard, mouse.

maybe they can port squeak/scratch (smalltalk vm) or maybe mit alice...

it should be fun for kits, school, hobbiest.

think $59+$5 kb+mouse... hooked up to regular old 480i tv

ah the good old days...

we can even have java vm... how sweet...
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

this thing could be modern day atari 400 / commadore 64

Peek()
Poke()

😄
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

SYS64738 ?
0 Kudos
goya
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
SYS64738 ?

command in Commodore 64 which would cause a restart