Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbrave
Channel Surfer

littleEndian > byteArray> signed integer and back

I'm reading a 16 bit little-endian file into a byte array and then converting it to signed 16bit integers:

function readcontroldata(ba as object)
for i=0 to ba.count()-1
int16=(ba+(ba[i+1]*256))-32768
next i

This appears to be correct, but I'm not 100% certain I"m getting the sign right, the file is stored as 2's-complement signed integers from -32768 to 32767. I think I've got the byte order correct, but the guesswork is, do I just assemble the two bytes into one 16bit word as above, or is there some other thing I need to do with the sign?

Now that I have successfully loaded the file I want to convert it back to 16 bit little -endian and write it back to tmp:/

I think I need to make it a positive 16 bit integer again before writing back to disk? I suppose I could just add 32768 to it to reverse the process, but not 100% sure of this.

There is no >> function in brightscript (I know there is in LIbRokuDev).

I think if I extract the low byte:

Lowbyte=int16 and &h00FF

and then:

highbyte=(int16-lowbyte)/256

Is that correct?

I realize LibRokuDev implements some of this, just trying to figure out how to do it myself.

Also, does anyone know how the signs are stored in a 16bit signed integer on Roku?

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: littleEndian > byteArray> signed integer and back

I believe all integers are 32 bits and I also believe that isn't documented anywhere. So, there's no such thing as a 16-bit integer in Brightscript. You need to convert your signed 16-bit, 2's complement, values to signed 32-bit values. Your positive values will go from 0 to &h7FFF (0 to 32767) and your negative values will go from &hFFFF to &h8000 (-1 to -32768). So if the most significant bit is a one then your 16-bit number is negative. For the 32-bit equivalent, the 17 most significant bits will all be ones for a negative number.

Here's the code:
for i = 0 to ba.Count() - 1 step 2
x = ba[i] + ba[i+1]*256
if x > 32767 then x = x + &hFFFF0000 ' if x is >= 32768 then it's really a 16-bit negative number
end for

To convert back from a 32-bit number that goes from -32768 to +32767 is trivial:
j = 0
for i = 0 to numvals - 1
ba[j] = x[i] and &hFF
ba[j+1] = (x[i] and &FF00)/256
j = j + 2
end for

Hope this helps!
-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

For what it's worth, the bslCore.brs in v3.0 has a bslGeneralConstants() function with the following:

function bslGeneralConstants()
return {
MAX_INT : 2147483647
MIN_INT : -2147483648
}
end function
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Thanks! There's definitely things I really need to explore more thoroughly and those library source files are one of them.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Thanks JT, the read part is working well, I'll get to the write soon.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos