Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andreeac
Visitor

getting started with roku

Hello

I'm a newbie here and I want to develop a roku application. I created an account on the roku.com/developer site and I downloaded the roku sdk documentation and examples availabe.
I went through the documents but now I'm trying to start developing my app. But I cannot figure out how to get started.

In the developer guide ( pg 4 ) it is mentioned:

Here’s a list of the things you’ll need to get started writing applications for the Roku Digital Video Player:
1. Roku Digital Video Player with Software Release 2.4 or later
2. Roku SDK (Development Kit Documentation and Sample Applications)
3. Development Workstation with Text Editor and Terminal Application
4. Standard Web Browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer or equivalent)

Questions:

a) Do I need 1. Roku Digital Video Player with Software Release 2.4 or later in the development phase, for code writing and testing?
b) Where can I find and get 3. Development Workstation with Text Editor and Terminal Application ?
c) I already have 2. and 4. Do I need anything else to start roku - ing?

Thanks in advance..
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
rrobinson
Visitor

Re: getting started with roku

a) Yes, you put the Roku in developer mode and as you write code you zip it up and upload to the Roku.
This is how you test and debug it. More specific instructions are in the docs provided with the sdk.

b) Your computer would be the workstation, the text editor could be notepad or something similiar.
You can google 'programmers editors' find many free ones.
I use Scite.
Google putty if your on windows for a free terminal application.
Mac and Linux have one installed. See OS docs to find how to access them.

c) nope, that should do it.
0 Kudos