Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dev42
Visitor

client / server tutorial?

I figure it best to ask as I'm sure I'm reinventing the same wheel.

Does anybody have any links / books / suggestions to learning how to write a Client app in a Client / Server scenario? Programming language wouldn't be too much of an issue if the explanation was done well.

and along the same lines, is TCP programming the same thing as Telnet programming? Since I accidentally maliciously deleted Telnet from my pc ( to free up hd space ) I'm using PuTTY to see how things should work. Yet, there's still much magic going on that I'm not quite catching.

Also, *not* pointing any fingers, but is it possible that Roku BrightScript's TCP code behaves differently than what PuTTY would do?

peace & 42
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: client / server tutorial?

"dev42" wrote:
Does anybody have any links / books / suggestions to learning how to write a Client app in a Client / Server scenario? Programming language wouldn't be too much of an issue if the explanation was done well.

That question is far too ambiguous to answer in any worthwhile manner. Technically, if you have a Roku channel that's requesting data from a web server, that's a client/server scenario.
"dev42" wrote:
and along the same lines, is TCP programming the same thing as Telnet programming?

Again, a bit ambiguous, but TCP and Telnet are not the same thing. Telnet is a network protocol that uses TCP for communication.
"dev42" wrote:
Also, *not* pointing any fingers, but is it possible that Roku BrightScript's TCP code behaves differently than what PuTTY would do?

Yep, because BrightScript's TCP components are bare bones TCP sockets. You'd have to implement the telnet client protocol yourself to interact with a telnet server connection (or vice versa).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
dev42
Visitor

Re: client / server tutorial?

I found this: How does telnet differ from a raw tcp connection?

I also found telnet.exe on another pc that I was able to copy over. Saved a whopping 77KB when I deleted it. ( In truth, I deleted a bunch of things all at once and it was just part of that "extra software I'd never need". DOH! ) Anyway, it behaves differently than PuTTY. Go figure!

So, instead of researching tutorials on TCP programming, I instead searched for "Telnet Protocol" and found this: MS - The TELNET Protocol

Anyway, I believe BrightScript is doing more than just Raw TCP communication, but don't quote me on that.

As for my ambiguous Q's, perhaps another? Any recommendations on any tutorials on asynchronous communication?

peace & 42
0 Kudos