Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpjamloki
Level 7

clear the telnet (cmd) screen

Hi
As i find that clear the screen of cmd there is a command "CLS" for clearing screen. is there any command to clear the telnet screen. during coding i want to clear previous log.
please if you have any idea would be helpful.
0 Kudos
19 Replies
RokuMarkn
Level 7

Re: clear the telnet (cmd) screen

No, I'm not aware of any version of telnet that has such functionality built in. You could do something like

BrightScript Debugger> for i = 1 to 60 : print : next

Or just hold down Enter until the screen clears.

--Mark
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Level 8

If you're using a Mac, you're probably using Terminal:
command-K "Clear Scrollback"
clears the screen.
Probably other terminal programs have a similar command somewhere.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Level 7

Since he mentioned CLS, I assumed he's using Windows, in a standard cmd window.

--Mark
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Level 8

"cpjamloki" wrote:
screen of cmd there is a command "CLS" for clearing screen

Ok so a cmd window in Windows has a command to clear the screen but it doesn't work if you are telnet-ing in said command window?
Because Windows? Go figure.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
belltown
Level 7

Despite the way the question was worded, I took the question to mean: how do you clear the Roku's console output, so that each time you start a new session you get a fresh, clean console log. Irrespective of whether you're using telnet, a web browser, Windows or Macs, or any other method to view console output during debugging, every time you run a dev channel or side-load again, and connect to port 8085, you get the output from previous sessions. I've often wondered myself whether there was a way to clear that output without re-booting the Roku.
https://github.com/belltown/
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Level 8

Ok i'm getting that sense like I might learn something here..
Is there a reason to have a clear console log other than personal tidiness? Or is it just that the particular app you use won't clear the window for you?
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
belltown
Level 7

I can't speak for cpjamloki, but in my case, the answer is convenience. I've had a couple of situations where it would have been nice to know I was starting with an empty log. It was more of an issue with the long-standing bug wherein the debugger would crash every other invocation. Several times I thought I was looking at console output from the current session, whereas it turned out to be from a previous session. That's not so much of an issue now that that particular bug has been fixed (and now that all my console output is timestamped). Another time I was logging data received over the network, unformatted Xml and Json. I wanted to analyze the data, so I would view the console output in my web browser, cut the output and paste into Notepad++ where it could easily be formatted and analyzed. It would have saved a few keystrokes if I didn't have to search past the old output to get to the output from the last session where I was starting my copy. It's obviously not an essential feature, nor even a request for such a feature -- but it doesn't hurt to ask if it's possible does it?
https://github.com/belltown/
0 Kudos
BradC
Level 7

the eclipse plugin has an option to "clear existing or open new console"

I never use that option so I don't know how it works, but it may be worth checking out.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Level 8

Yea it certainly makes sense if you're using a web browser which obviously has no telnet-specific type features. I've only ever used Terminal on my Mac or phone so i've never really thought of it, plus you are doing a lot more of this work than I am.
And yes it never hurts ask, I suppose I'm just too cynical, I see the cobwebs on Enterr's unanswered questions and don't feel like suggestions have any way of moving up the food chain.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos