Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpjamloki
Visitor

clear the telnet (cmd) screen

Hi
As i find that clear the screen of cmd there is a command "CLS" for clearing screen. is there any command to clear the telnet screen. during coding i want to clear previous log.
please if you have any idea would be helpful.
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: clear the telnet (cmd) screen

No, I'm not aware of any version of telnet that has such functionality built in. You could do something like

BrightScript Debugger> for i = 1 to 60 : print : next

Or just hold down Enter until the screen clears.

--Mark
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

If you're using a Mac, you're probably using Terminal:
command-K "Clear Scrollback"
clears the screen.
Probably other terminal programs have a similar command somewhere.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Since he mentioned CLS, I assumed he's using Windows, in a standard cmd window.

--Mark
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"cpjamloki" wrote:
screen of cmd there is a command "CLS" for clearing screen

Ok so a cmd window in Windows has a command to clear the screen but it doesn't work if you are telnet-ing in said command window?
Because Windows? Go figure.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Despite the way the question was worded, I took the question to mean: how do you clear the Roku's console output, so that each time you start a new session you get a fresh, clean console log. Irrespective of whether you're using telnet, a web browser, Windows or Macs, or any other method to view console output during debugging, every time you run a dev channel or side-load again, and connect to port 8085, you get the output from previous sessions. I've often wondered myself whether there was a way to clear that output without re-booting the Roku.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Ok i'm getting that sense like I might learn something here..
Is there a reason to have a clear console log other than personal tidiness? Or is it just that the particular app you use won't clear the window for you?
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

I can't speak for cpjamloki, but in my case, the answer is convenience. I've had a couple of situations where it would have been nice to know I was starting with an empty log. It was more of an issue with the long-standing bug wherein the debugger would crash every other invocation. Several times I thought I was looking at console output from the current session, whereas it turned out to be from a previous session. That's not so much of an issue now that that particular bug has been fixed (and now that all my console output is timestamped). Another time I was logging data received over the network, unformatted Xml and Json. I wanted to analyze the data, so I would view the console output in my web browser, cut the output and paste into Notepad++ where it could easily be formatted and analyzed. It would have saved a few keystrokes if I didn't have to search past the old output to get to the output from the last session where I was starting my copy. It's obviously not an essential feature, nor even a request for such a feature -- but it doesn't hurt to ask if it's possible does it?
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

the eclipse plugin has an option to "clear existing or open new console"

I never use that option so I don't know how it works, but it may be worth checking out.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Yea it certainly makes sense if you're using a web browser which obviously has no telnet-specific type features. I've only ever used Terminal on my Mac or phone so i've never really thought of it, plus you are doing a lot more of this work than I am.
And yes it never hurts ask, I suppose I'm just too cynical, I see the cobwebs on Enterr's unanswered questions and don't feel like suggestions have any way of moving up the food chain.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos