Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grimmfarmer
Visitor

can't enable developer mode on Roku 3

Hi folks,

I've probably just overlooked something obvious, but haven't been able to locate the answer to this: I've tried the standard H3U2RLRLR approach to enabling developer mode on my new Roku 3 (both with the included remote and the official iOS app), and get no indication that it's worked. The player is pingable on my network and I can fetch XML from it on 8060/tcp, but nmap tells me that the other ports are closed, and tcpdump indicates my attempts to sideload are falling on deaf ears. What am I missing? Thanks for any advice.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: can't enable developer mode on Roku 3

Try to enable it on the remote control rather than the iOS app.
0 Kudos
victor1242
Visitor

I expect that the Roku 3 is very similar to the Roku 2 as far as your problem is concerned. I spent a long time carefully entering the sequence without success. The answer is that you cannot pause between key entries. Much like entering a phone number. Memorize the sequence and enter it without having to look back at a document for the sequence.
0 Kudos
grimmfarmer
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
Try to enable it on the remote control rather than the iOS app.

Yeah, I had tried the included remote as well. No joy.

"victor1242" wrote:
I expect that the Roku 3 is very similar to the Roku 2 as far as your problem is concerned. I spent a long time carefully entering the sequence without success. The answer is that you cannot pause between key entries. Much like entering a phone number. Memorize the sequence and enter it without having to look back at a document for the sequence.

This was actually the ticket (fast, with the included remote), in spite of the fact that the vast majority of posts on this subject recommend a slower pace (varying up to 1.5sec between key presses). Thanks, Victor!
0 Kudos