Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FML2010
Visitor

can i get some help?

I am a PhP/mysql programmer that also has content.

I can not learn another programming language and will be the first to admit i guess im just not smart enough to do so. because i cant make any sense from this brightscript

I read the manuals and examples and its just confusing, i post here and wait only to prob be more confused.

so if anyone here is willing to help out with some coding they have done it would be greatly appreciated

i just want to allow members of our site to watch videos that they subscribed to on the website. basically as described here in this post
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30458

on a good registration sends them to their video page sending some sort of variable or something to know who they are to our DB to make the categories and video xml

on a bad registration just send them to some example videos.

some sample code on how to register their Roku on my website would be great too. i dont see a actual full example anywhere

I have tried to do this on my own cause at this point is something i cant afford to pay for. any help would be greatly appreciated
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
kbenson
Visitor

Re: can i get some help?

I have little time to help another project with code I haven't messed with yet, and I haven't done anything with the registration methods at all. That said, I can possibly provide you a few pointers on how to approach BrightScript from a language standpoint.

1) Forget PHP. When thinking about BrightScript, very little of PHP applies. PHP purposefully dumbed down some features when first developed, and that served it well in finding an audience of early adopters trying to put out code quick. It does not serve it nearly as well when those people who cut their teeth on PHP must deal with languages that are a bit more technical (first class functions, distinction between arrays and associative arrays/hashes, references, etc). This is not really a criticism of PHP here, just a note that those may be areas to read up on if they trouble you when using a different language.

2) I find BrightScript VERY similar to Javascript in some core ways. Any extra experience you can get with JS will probably translate fairly well. Classes/objects? Almost identical. First class functions? Check. Native arrays and associative arrays? Same declarators as well.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
FML2010
Visitor

Re: can i get some help?

Thanks
0 Kudos