Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbrave
Channel Surfer

calling screens and returning

I have a search screen function which returns the string searched for, and then I get the list of matching files from the server and load them into the audio player, launch a posterscreen displaying the files and associated graphics, from which one can play the audio files. However, I don't really understand the correct method for exiting this screen back to the search. Currently when I exit (using the up button on the remote), it goes back to the search screen, but although the search screen works, nothing happens when you hit search this time.

I think I don't really understand how to call screens and return - the calling part I understand, but I don't know how one goes from one function back to a previous function when executing in-line.

my app looks like this:

sub main()

DefineObjects()

AssignDefaults()

setlevel(m.default)

SetCat(m.level)

searchscreen("tracks")

getsearchtracks(0,20)

displayposter()

so how do I get from here:
messageloop()
back to the searchscreen() and getsearchtracks()

end sub
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: calling screens and returning

How are you setting your message port and listening to it via your wait? The behavior you're describing almost sounds like you're message port may be getting reset between screens.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Ok, heres the actual code: (almost everything is using m.variablename, so only a few functions actually use the "return variablename" approach). The message port m.port is created in DefineObjects and then assigned in AssignDefaults which assigns m.poster, m.searchscrn and m.audioplayer to use m.port.

sub main()
print "defining objects"
DefineObjects()
print "assigning defaults"
AssignDefaults()
print "setting default level"
setlevel(m.default)
print "setting default categories"
SetCat(m.level)
print "this shoud load the search screen"
searchscreen("tracks")
print "ok, now we have search string, lets get tracks"
getsearchtracks(0,20)
print "ok, now we should have tracks, lets display the results"
displayposter()

print "ok, now wait for something to happen, anything almost"
messageloop()

end sub

Sub MessageLoop()
while true
msg = wait(0, m.port)
if type(msg) = "roPosterScreenEvent" then
if msg.isListItemSelected() then
idx = msg.GetIndex() ' <-- gives the index of the selected poster
m.audioPlayer.SetNext(idx) ' <-- sets the song to play to the same index as the poster
m.audioPlayer.Play() ' <-- start the song
end if
else if type(msg) = "roAudioPlayerEvent" then
if msg.getmessage() ="end of stream" or msg.getmessage()="end of playlist" then
print "roAudioPlayerEvent: "; msg.getmessage() ;
print "done playing "+m.TrackTitle
m.audioplayer.stop()

end if

else if type(msg) = "roImageCanvasEvent" then
if (msg.isRemoteKeyPressed()) then
i = msg.GetIndex()
print "Key Pressed - " ; msg.GetIndex()
if (i = 2) then
' Up - Close the screen.

m.canvas.close()
end if
else if (msg.isScreenClosed()) then
print "Closed"
return
end if
end if

' extra? end if
end while
End Sub
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

I'm thinking I need a while loop in the main() section maybe? otherwise after exiting the msg loop, it just falls through to the end of sub main(). I'm having conceptual problems understanding the best way to do this. Essentially I'm creating various aspects of the app for testing purposes, testing each area of it, then building the next part. I'm pretty far along but seem to have missed something important near the beginning of learning the system. Some of the examples have a whole pile of "category" "leaf" stuff which I don't even begin to understand what they are talking about, popping when they exit a screen, etc, don't know if this is directly related to what I'm doing. Looking at the audioapp, seems much simpler, but my app will be more complex, similar to the YouTube app in layout.

- Joel
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Generally it's helpful to think of your channel as a stack of index cards. You start with a base card (or home screen), then add and remove cards in response to the user's actions. Pushing and popping are just fancy programmer words for adding or removing cards from the stack. Whenever you break out of a given screen's event loop, that screen closes and the screen beneath it reappears. When the home screen closes, the channel exits back to the box's channel screen.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

It sounds like you're using a single wait loop to handle all of your screens. There are few situation where you'd want to do that. Typically you'll want a separate wait loop for each screen, and exit them as the screen closes. I have to run at the moment, so I can't go into much more detail, but if someone else doesn't beat me to it, I'll try to post an example of how I do it later this evening.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

when exiting the poster screen, it goes back automatically to the search screen, buti dont think it goes back to the code that handles that screen. I guess thatis the meat of my question, when i exit the sub that builds and displays the poster screen, i dont see any way to get back to the sub displayposter() since the sub messageloop()is not called from sub displayposter() but from main(). should each successive screen be called from the sub that calls the previous screen?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"jbrave" wrote:
when exiting the poster screen, it goes back automatically to the search screen, buti dont think it goes back to the code that handles that screen. I guess thatis the meat of my question, when i exit the sub that builds and displays the poster screen, i dont see any way to get back to the sub displayposter() since the sub messageloop()is not called from sub displayposter() but from main(). should each successive screen be called from the sub that calls the previous screen?

You should be calling your messageloop() sub from each screen, and exiting that instance when you close the screen.

In a very simplified example, this is how I do my screens. Ordinarily I'd break these up into multiple source files, and make them more self contained... The main thing to notice here is that each screen has its own event/message loop that blocks the parent event loop until the screen is closed. This example uses a shared ListenForEvents() sub, but for readability (and to avoid a huge If/Then tree), you'd probably want a different one for each screen.

Sub Main()
m.MessagePort = CreateObject( "roMessagePort" )

poster = NewPosterScreen( "parameters like title, breadcrumb, etc" )
' show the poster screen and let it's event loop handle it's events
poster.Show()

' at this point, the last event loop has exited, and screens have
' closed, so we exit the app
End Sub

Function NewPosterScreen( some parameters to pass in ) As Object
poster = {
Screen: CreateObject( "roPosterScreen" ),
MessagePort: m.MessagePort,

Init: Poster_Init,
Show: Poster_Show,
ListenForEvents: ListenForEvents
}
poster.Init()
Return poster
End Function

Sub Poster_Init()
'Initialize poster screen details here
m.Screen.SetMessagePort( m.MessagePort )
End Sub

Sub Poster_Show()
' show the screen
m.Screen.Show()
' jump into local event loop
m.ListenForEvents()
End Sub

Function NewSprinboardScreen( some parameters to pass in ) As Object
poster = {
Screen: CreateObject( "roSpringboardScreen" ),
MessagePort: m.MessagePort,

Init: Springboard_Init,
Show: Springboard_Show,
ListenForEvents: ListenForEvents
}
poster.Init()
Return poster
End Function

Sub Springboard_Init()
'Initialize poster screen details here
m.Screen.SetMessagePort( m.MessagePort )
End Sub

Sub Springboard_Show()
' show the screen
m.Screen.Show()
' jump into local event loop
m.ListenForEvents()
End Sub

Sub ListenForEvents()
While True
msg = Wait( 0, m.MessagePort )
If msg <> invalid Then
If Type( msg ) = "roPosterScreenEvent" Then
' handle poster screen events
If msg.IsScreenClosed() Then
' screen is closed, exit this instance of the
' event loop
Exit While
Else If msg.IsListItemSelected() Then
springboard = NewSpringboardScreen()

' This will block until the springboard is closed
' at which point we'll re-enter this instance of the
' event loop
springboard.Show()
Else If msg.SomeOtherEvent Then
'blahblahblah
End If
Else If Type( msg ) = "roSpringboardScreenEvent" Then
If msg.IsScreenClosed() Then
' screen is closed, exit this instance of the
' event loop
Exit While
End If
End If
End If
End While
End Sub
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

The main thing to notice here is that each screen has its own event/message loop that blocks the parent event loop until the screen is closed.

i think that answers the substance of my question, for some reason it wouldn't gell in my brain...

thanks!
0 Kudos
SolveLLC
Visitor

I find the "stack of cards" functionality to be the most frustrating thing about Brightscript.
0 Kudos