Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goya
Visitor

any plans for background brightscript services

if one would want to develop an instant messageing type application one would need to have some channel, but one would also need to be able to run some background scripts that would monitor for interested events like a friend gets on, gets off, a message arrives, ect... and that would be able to play some sound or display up some like popup with the information which the user could use to change channels to the messaging channel to instant message and then possibly then return to the previously viewed channel...

think xbox and how messaging there works

in the messaging channel one can have friends lists, be able to add, remove, edit friends, be able to send and recieve messages, ect...

but without being able to get that popup how would one know there is some friend trying to send you some message

sad that linux/c is not open to developers even under some terms...
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
goya
Visitor

Re: any plans for background brightscript services

no takers 😞

how are we ever going to get instant messaging to roku 😞
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Why not write a screensaver to poll for incoming messages and launch your channel if a message comes in? There would be at most a 5 minute gap where messages might be missed, but any reasonable messaging system would keep a que of messages in case the recipient is offline.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
goya
Visitor

interesting, i will have to look at screen savers, but it would have to be able to poll while channel is in use and not running screen saver and be able to interact with user you know play sound when someone you indicated gets on or off or sends u a message and maybe display something allowing you to get to messenger and then back... think game consoles you know the 4 letter word one...
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

1. When app loads, write a file to tmp:/ to indicate app is running.
2. Screensaver needs to check for tmp file when it loads, so as not to duplicate processing, and to detect if it is running as system screensaver
3. Screensaver periodically writes file to tmp if it is running concurrently with main app, so main app shuts down processing when saver is active
4. Main app periodically checks for tmp file and deletes file from disk, and shuts down processing. If no file, then it starts processing

No sound possible in screen savers, but pop-up should be possible.

Of course, if someone is watching a movie no messages, but who wants movie interrupted?

-Joel
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

i had put together a chat system but it takes quite a toll on calls to the DB etc. its pretty simple to do but the real issue is the remote and typing isnt so fun
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Keyboard entry with the remote should be fine for the txt msg generation... Wht do u thnk? 😉
0 Kudos
goya
Visitor

"jbrave" wrote:
Keyboard entry with the remote should be fine for the txt msg generation... Wht do u thnk? 😉

xbox has it

the way they layout the keyboard makes it easier

they also had messaging controller

roku has usb so in theory you can hook up a keyboard and an xbox controller with messaging addon

the only thing is will they have drivers for things like usb keyboard and usb wireless keyboard and mouse, let us not forget the mouse... 😉
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

sorry but i do not even like using my remote to search on netflix...

so don't listen to me i suppose, i have a full chat system in place already actually but didnt think anyone would want to mess with it.
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos