Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cheungj
Visitor

Wowza HLS Timeout

Hi I have a videoplayer app requesting HLS streams from a wowza server. the issue i'm encountering is that the videoplayer buffers a certain amount of chunks during the stream and stops requesting for any more additional chunks for a prolong period of time. This is bad because it needs to keep requesting from wowza in order to keep the streaming session active.

So what happens is after the stream closes roku videoplayer plays the remaining chunks it has then kills the player. Has anyone encountered an issue like this before ?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
cheungj
Visitor

Re: Wowza HLS Timeout

Is there a way to tell roku roVideoPlayer to only play one chunk at a time instead of buffer and play?
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

Happens to me a lot from the Wowza Servers. I am testing live servers. I wish there was Roku settings that can keep it from closing the program 90% of the time and 10% Reloading and no traffic on server with HLS streams. I can't get my friends to change anything on the wowza side.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

You could enable multiple bitrates, using Stream Name Groups and the wowza transcoder addon - http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php ... ups-module
Other than that, your bitrate is probably set too high, the input stream is problematic, or the encoder is causing problems. Ensure your server has enough bandwidth to support what your expected live viewing audience is - and set up automatic load balancing if you are being flooded with requests to keep the stream stable. http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php?108
0 Kudos
cheungj
Visitor

I'm not sure we need to do the load balancing since i'm using only one wowza server to provide the HLS stream. Also how do I reduce the bitrate for the stream?
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

If you have the transcoder addon you can disable any streams you don't want to use in transcode.xml.
0 Kudos

Hi

None of this is addressing the actual issue, which is that wowza needs to be set up with additional chunking, according to the Roku encoding guide. Wowza will stop an app after a certain amount of time (default is 60000 milliseconds), so if you are not getting a request to Wowza within that time, the wowza app will stop, and so will the stream.
0 Kudos