Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brocker
Visitor

Working Offline

I have been trying to research if there is a way to work on the Roku without being connected to the internet and see some posts, but no definitive answers. I need to travel, and was hoping there would be a way to travel with the Roku box, and work on as small of a environment as possible. Basically, at a bare minimum, what can be done to make it as close to a closed system as possible?

Can anyone share their thoughts and ideas on how this may be done? What are the options? I'm open to unique ideas.

Thanks
Bud
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Working Offline

If your roku has a USB port, then all you need is to set up the roku the first time connected to the internet, and then install the USB channel from the channel store. Then you can load up to 2GB of compatible video or MP3s or photos to the usb drive.
0 Kudos
brocker
Visitor

Thanks Destruk, but I'm not sure I quite follow. You mean I would "side load" via the USB? Basically, write my code, save to a thumbdrive, then plug into the USB on the Roku?

Regards
Bud
0 Kudos
Kapture
Visitor

He means that all you have to do is download the USB channel from the channel store and then
you will be able to view up to 2GB of content on your USB Drive.
Hope this clears the confusion. 😉
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies
hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction. - MLK Jr.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

It's the easiest way.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

I think both destruk and Kapture are misunderstanding what brocker is asking. The USB Media channel is for playback of media locally. I believe brocker wants to develop on the box, not play media. If you want to develop on the Roku, the only way to do so is via a network connection. It doesn't necessarily need to have access to the internet (unless your content is being pulled from there), but you do need to be able to telnet into it. Internet Connection Sharing and a crossover cable or an adhoc WiFi hotspot might work for you.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I just verified that using my laptop running a DHCP server and a crossover cable (which may or may not be necessary) I could side-load and debug apps. The box didn't get through switching from wireless to wired from the network setup because it can't access the Internet, but rebooting it gets to the home screen. I'm sure I could play media off of my laptop as well, but I didn't try it.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
brocker
Visitor

Thanks for the replies. Endless is correct, I am trying to figure out how to develop offline. It sounds like it might be a bit tricky, but sounds like Renojim might have a way to do it.

I appreciate the responses.

Best
Bud
0 Kudos