Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greubel
Visitor

Wireless vrs Wired

I have a user that complained of a video timing out. He has two Roku boxes both at the latest release level.
One device is hooked up wireless the other is wired. He sent me a trace of both trying the same movie and there wasn't any difference in the hand shaking. I could see the requests coming and going for the different tables contained in the video. But then at one point, the wired connection stopped receiving anything from the Roku.

Just for kicks he disconnected the ethernet cable and ran Chaneru using wireless mode and it streamed the videos flawlessly. He then reconnected the ethernet and had the same failed problem.

One thing of note, the cable is about 30 ft long. What is the max length you can run ethernet ?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
TomCorwine
Channel Surfer

Re: Wireless vrs Wired

It depends on the ethernet type, but way more than 30 feet. I believe the minimum length starts at 100 meters.
0 Kudos
krisbee
Binge Watcher

Having said that, there is quality differences of cable, and it should at least be shielded, I would think.
0 Kudos
tensen
Visitor

It depends on the shielding, and the transfer type of the router.
However looking at some of the worst case scenarios of streaming gigabit connections and unshielded it is supposed to be:
37 meters (121 ft). So 30 foot shouldn't be a problem unless the cable itself has flawed wiring.
0 Kudos