Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
creator
Visitor

Why are there so many channels that don't work

I've noticed there are many channels that don't work. I get a message that says its not supported at the time etc. Is it because people are able to get a private channel pkg loaded as a channel but are not fully developing the channel before its published. It seems people will be somewhat frustrated as I am finding out there are private channels that are free but they don't work.
I know very little about the developer program yet I made sure my channel worked before I published it. It seems there is a big loophole in the publishing of "private channels". :roll:
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Why are there so many channels that don't work

It would help if you mentioned which channel doesn't work. Otherwise someone has to go through the 300+ private channels.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'm guessing many of the private channels are no longer supported. It's been my experience that it's not unusual for a firmware update to come out that breaks something in one of my channels (see my post about audio status messages in the Roku2 for an example). The content the channel links to could change over time as well requiring an update to the channel. All the channels probably worked when they first came out, but if the developer isn't still around to support the channel it's going to fall by the wayside. Unfortunately, it happens to public channels in the Channel Store as well.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

Orphanware is pretty common with all types of third party development in my experience.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
creator
Visitor

I should have said public channels displayed in the channel store. Several indicate they are not available or something else is wrong. Roku checks them before they are published but does roku ever check to see if they are still valid after a period of time? It doesn't seem so. The roku people should because it is a real pain to think some of these public channels are ready to go when they don't work for some reason. Don't you agree? Anybody got an answer?
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"creator" wrote:
I should have said public channels displayed in the channel store. Several indicate they are not available or something else is wrong. Roku checks them before they are published but does roku ever check to see if they are still valid after a period of time? It doesn't seem so. The roku people should because it is a real pain to think some of these public channels are ready to go when they don't work for some reason. Don't you agree? Anybody got an answer?

Can you provide specific examples? It would help Roku (and possibly the channel creators, if they still have interest in maintaining their channel) to identify the non-working channels. As the list of public channels grows and grows every week, the limited number of staff at Roku won't conceivably be able to check every channel, every day, to make sure that every piece of content offered within is still available.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos