Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
partyk1d24
Visitor

Where is the debug console in 5.3?

I am using 5.3 and when I telnet into 8085 I don't get the console as expected. Instead I get an empty prompt that doesn't seem to recognize input. Did the location change? Also I do not see the port information in the about section.
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
destruk
Streaming Star

Re: Where is the debug console in 5.3?

You probably need to re-enabled debugging mode on your roku - sometimes after an update it gets disabled. It's still port 8085. You can only have a single debugging telnet session at one time.
0 Kudos
partyk1d24
Visitor

Pretty sure the print commands are outputting I just can't issue any of my own commands. I was looking for something similar to ...

http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... ug+Console

"The Debug Console prompt looks like this:

BrightScript Debugger>"

Mine just looks like it is outputing the syslog or something. Could it be I am on OSX?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

You can only issue commands if you break execution, either with a "stop" statement in the code, a bug that causes a crash, or by hitting CTRL-C in the terminal session.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
partyk1d24
Visitor

Ctrl-C doesn't work, I can still deploy using eclipse. It says...

Escape character is '^]'.

But that doesn't seem to get me to where I need to be it doesn't accept the commands listed above. I could try a STOP in an application I am running but I haven't done that yet I can keep you informed if it works. I really just want to look at the source files like it talks about.
0 Kudos
partyk1d24
Visitor

Sorry I meant this one talks about looking at the core libs...

http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... tLibraries
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"partyk1d24" wrote:
Ctrl-C doesn't work, I can still deploy using eclipse. It says...

Escape character is '^]'.

But that doesn't seem to get me to where I need to be it doesn't accept the commands listed above. I could try a STOP in an application I am running but I haven't done that yet I can keep you informed if it works. I really just want to look at the source files like it talks about.

Might be Command-C on Mac, but I'm not sure.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
partyk1d24
Visitor

Doesn't seem to be the case. This platform is great just seems pretty hard to develop on with a mac.

Oh well back to the revue.
0 Kudos
destruk
Streaming Star

yup, if you can't find the break command on your mac, I guess you'd need to add a stop command to your app and run it twice to get debug console access. (The only logical conclusion)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Console is working fine on Mac, i just checked. fw5.3
Use Ctrl-C to break on Mac too, just like anywhere else (this is telnet, server interprets the code; not out-of-band)
simply did `telnet` from terminal.

Don't forget though: this only works on a side-loaded/dev channel - you don't get to interrupt/debug published channels.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.