Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Streaming Star

What is the total size of the TMP storage for any channel?

Brightscript in Roku has no way to determine the block size or number of blocks available for TMP:/ - so how much room is available? -- that stuff only works for external volumes according to the documentation/SDK

I need to know this so we can conserve bandwidth on a looping video application - it will download the file to TMP, and then play the file from TMP and loop for eternity - so the only bandwidth required is the initial download to TMP storage.
When you exit the channel, TMP is discarded and garbage collected, which is fine, and when the user reenters the channel it will have to redownload the file to TMP again which is acceptable to our client.
Is it 20MB? 10MB? 50MB? or does it vary depending on how many channels the user has installed?

On my current dev application I can successfully fit 13MB into TMP - just not sure how many copies of that I can store or how much room is available, or if it is a standard set value for every roku model or if it varies from model to model on external factors? Basically, I need to know.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
destruk
Streaming Star

Re: What is the total size of the TMP storage for any channe

I'd still like to have an answer of what to expect regarding TMP storage allocation. With 100 channels installed it was still able to buffer a file to TMP, and so far we've been able to stick files up to 25MB in there. 120MB appears to be too big for storage and successful playback - so could anyone help us nail down the amount of room available?
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Re: What is the total size of the TMP storage for any channe

You might be the scout leader on this one!

Knowing that I can potentially handle even 25 mb is revolutionary

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.