Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nowhereman
Visitor

Re: What do you want from a Developer Program?

"greubel" wrote:
Who came up with the name Roku (6) ?

Dunno how true it is, but I read somewhere that Roku is the 6th company founded by Anthony Wood. Thus the name.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

Need the ability to run scripts in the Brightscript debugger. They could be packaged with the channel and then loaded when needed.
0 Kudos
MikeFM
Visitor

More examples would be nice. It seems a bit raw. Not at all like what I experienced when picking up Android or iPhone programming. A real 'App Store' experience would be good. I added a couple of your new channels and it involved going to different websites and using PayPal. Not nearly as impulse buy as Apple's App Store. To developers with hopes of making profit it'd be nice to smooth this out.

Being able to just write in Java would be nice. Maybe something using XMLVM to convert Java programs if needed?
0 Kudos
steverino2
Visitor

We are starting to work with the Roku SDK. I was surprised to find it appears to be Brightscript only.
We have an existing application that is a good fit for Roku box that runs on linux. this is ANSI-C posix
style application. Not too complex but we need to be able to GCC compile the code for the Roku HD box,
dowload it GDB debug it, etc. Can we know if this is possible, and a little better sense as to the
Roku HD box, like operating system (embedded linux?), chip ???, clock speed, etc? Once we have a better
feel for this, we can dive into further details concerning how to interface to on-screen OSD graphic overlay.
video, audio and so on.

Thanks please comment and let us know if we are on the right track here!
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Steve,

Channels for the Roku player must be written in BrightScript. If you'd like to discuss your specific application and what it might take to publish it on Roku, let me know.

Patrick
0 Kudos
stealthfloyd
Visitor

Hi Patrick,

What is your contact information?

I would like to talk directly with you about my project and how we can team up.

Thank you,

Floyd Kaylor
President of Stealth Marketing, Inc.
714-624-0737
0 Kudos
peej
Visitor

(beta) Developer Survey

Hopefully this is an appropriate place to respond about the survey...

The questions that asked about status of channel development were somewhat difficult to answer because (as a hobbyist) I have tried making a few different channels and I had different experiences with each, but the questions were worded only for a single channel. Maybe make those questions have multi-select answers ("I have completed a channel", "I have channel in development", "I gave up on a channel", etc could all be true). Then the later ones say "if you chose X, answer here" but due to the first issue, I didn't choose X even though it may also be true.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Thanks for the feedback peej. I'll see what I can do to address the issues. Feel free to reply to my email directly with additional comments.

Patrick
0 Kudos