Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahmednuaman
Visitor

What device should I develop for?

Coming from a strong front end dev background to connected devices I learnt that I should always develop for the lowest common denominator when it came to unified clients. For standard CE-HTML style dev I found it's mainly low end 2011 blu rays that seem to be the worst for performance. But now I'm starting dev for Roku devices so which device should I dev for?
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
gonzotek
Visitor

Re: What device should I develop for?

"ahmednuaman" wrote:
Coming from a strong front end dev background to connected devices I learnt that I should always develop for the lowest common denominator when it came to unified clients. For standard CE-HTML style dev I found it's mainly low end 2011 blu rays that seem to be the worst for performance. But now I'm starting dev for Roku devices so which device should I dev for?
If you want to be sure you're including all Roku streaming devices, only use functions included in 3.x firmware. The platform is abstracted enough that if you aren't depending on hardware functionality like the game controller or usb port, and don't use system calls that require newer firmware, the channel should technically run on the oldest hardware available. There are some memory and speed limitations with the older hardware to be considered, but they may or may not matter, depending on the nature of your channel. If you're implementing something with a custom ui, or requiring a lot of processing(say, a game or other highly graphical program), you may need to exclude the Roku 1 hardware, for instance.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
ahmednuaman
Visitor

Re: What device should I develop for?

Cool, thanks for the reply. The channel will be TVOD with payments and what not.
0 Kudos