Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: What 3 or 4 Rokus should I test game on?

I just picked up yesterday a Roku HD 2500, so I can compare the slightly different chipset from my Roku 1 2710
For my game at least, it's slightly slower, roughly 10% or so
So I'm glad to have it for comparison, and maybe I'll notice other differences over time, we'll see.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

So I guess we can drop "group D" from the list, since we can no longer release public channels to classic Rokus.

I have the impression that Roku TVs are different enough, however, to be in their own category. Are they all the same Roku inside? There are, what, 4 or 5 different TV options out there?

Right now I have:
2500 - BCM7208 405 MHz
2710 - BCM7218 600 MHz
3100 - BCM2835 600 MHz
4200 - BCM11130 900 MHz

So I think Roku TV is next, and maybe a stick.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Komag" wrote:
I have the impression that Roku TVs are different enough, however, to be in their own category. Are they all the same Roku inside? There are, what, 4 or 5 different TV options out there?

RokuTV are pretty much "group B" but faster. They seem to be virtually identical within a brand, since there is only 1 firmware blob per manufacturer, regardless of model. In addition, RokuCo chose to return "5000X" for roDeviceInfo.getModel() no matter the maker, model and screen. More specific information is available (e.g. di.getModelDetails().ModelNumber = "5203X"), so the only reasonable explanation i can come with is they are telling us "for all practical purposes there is only one RokuTV type to consider".

Have a look at the device stats we discussed re model popularity. I hate to agree with myself 😛 but seems the priority of groups to test for remains: A, B, C.

I recommend instead of planning it all perfect - practice. Release private/beta channel of what you are doing, with maybe partial content - say one room or with some place-holder images. It will help you and feedback will keep you motivated. Unless you are concerned revealing the subject will make someone steal the idea (but then you can still do private beta with hand-picked participants). Note you can "yank" the beta channel later by uploading bundle with a banner, like BradC did.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
I recommend instead of planning it all perfect - practice. Release private/beta channel of what you are doing, with maybe partial content - say one room or with some place-holder images. It will help you and feedback will keep you motivated. Unless you are concerned revealing the subject will make someone steal the idea (but then you can still do private beta with hand-picked participants). Note you can "yank" the beta channel later by uploading bundle with a banner, like BradC did.

Good advice, at some point I'll be doing something alone these lines. 🙂
0 Kudos