Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vs 7.2.0 build 4143 fails to play live video over 640p in size on RokuTV

Received a report 3 days ago that a user could not view a live stream on a long standing Channel of ours. We could not duplicate it at first on Roku boxes. I went and purchased a Roku TV (that is what it was reported on) and was able to get the same issue. Test with 720p live stream would fail, not cascade to the lower rendition, just fail. 

Here is what we found, after 3 days. After lots of changes on our Wowza server and reviewing current optimal setting for HLS streaming to Roku. And having our CDN looking into the streams from their side. The problem is the firmware.

Using the Stream/RAF Tester Tool, we would fail consistently on a new Sharp - Roku TV 5316x, Software version 7.2.0 build 4143. The largest size we could display successfully was 640p. This TV is a 1080pHD TV.

On a Roku 1 box, version 7.2.0 build 4113, we had no problem running 1080p HD video, using the Stream/RAF Tester Tool, connecting to the same stream tests. Please fix. Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Vs 7.2.0 build 4143 fails to play live video over 640p in size on RokuTV

I suspect your "current optimal setting for HLS streaming to Roku" is not exactly optimal (or even passable).

I am not exactly clueful in video streaming - but what codec, profile and complexity level are you using? See https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... Guidelines
Also prep an example URL that demonstrates the issue - to share with the Co's dev.support
0 Kudos

Thank you for your faith in our abilities. We have been live streaming for 15 years. And stream on 2 CDNs, with 15 TB monthly. 

The stream is playing fine on version 7.2.0 build 4113. 

We also had the support team from one of our CDNs looking into this as well (for 3 days!)

The streams played fine in iOS, desktops, Android devices. Not on Sharp - Roku TV 5316x, Software version 7.2.0 build 4143. I have received a report on another Sharp - Roku TV box with the same Software version 7.2.0 build 4143, having the same problem.

h.264, (tested both main and high), AAC, Keyframes (tested 2, 5 and 10 seconds), transcoded from Wowza Media Engine, supplied directly to the player for testing, from our CDN for production. Tested with default and optimized transcoding settings from Wowza to Roku's Stream/RAF Tester Tool. I have a 1080p Live stream ready that airs 24/7 that works on version 7.2.0 build 4113.

Broadcasting on Roku, live and VOD since 2014. 
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"franklinmayfield" wrote:
Thank you for your faith in our abilities. We have been live streaming for 15 years. And stream on 2 CDNs, with 15 TB monthly.

Sarcasm duly noted.
But please consider we get all kinds of questions here in the forum - yet ultimately only a few require rocket surgery.

It's interesting that the video fails on 5xxx (HD RokuTV) models but plays fine on 27xx (Roku1). I suspect it's something about the stock decoder library/hardware underneath, rather than the exact firmware version. Unfortunately I cannot find public info available on the RokuTV decoder differences. With some luck, we may hear more from Roku* here 
0 Kudos

While researching this to see if there were any other reports, I did find quite a few mentioning bugs in this particular build, so it may just be a bad run.
0 Kudos