Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Request Failure

I'm trying to develop a channel and I got it working on my development Roku, but when I tested on another Roku in the office I get this really weird message in the debugger. It reads "Video Request Failure: -5 7". The working one is a Roku 2 XD and the non-working one is a Roku 2 HD. Both have the latest updates.

So why does the live stream work on one, but not the other?

Debug:

created feed connection for http://www.sho.....
url: http://www.sho....
Request Time: 1360
Show Feed Parse Took : 2
ButtonPressed
ButtonPressed
Playing Video
showHomeScreen | msg = | index = -5
Video request failure: -5 7
Playing Video
showHomeScreen | msg = | index = 0
Screen closed
Button pressed: 2 0

Also, why is index showing as a negative number?

This live link is the only link on the XML feed at the moment.
שלום חבר

Dean at the School of Truth: a part of Autodidact University.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"
Temet nosce
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Si vis pacem, para bellum
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Video Request Failure

That message comes from your brightscript code, so only you can tell us what it means. However if you copied the code from the VideoPlayer sample, the message occurs when you get an roVideoScreenEvent with isRequestFailed. The documentation for roVideoScreenEvent explains that GetIndex() = -5 means "media error". That explains why you see a negative number but doesn't answer the question of why it's only happening on the 2HD. If you post or PM me the URL of your stream I can take a look.

--Mark
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply. I sent you the link for the live stream through PM. Also, yes, the code came from the VideoPlayer example.
שלום חבר

Temet nosce
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Well I can't reproduce the failure. Can you post the version number that's running on each of the Rokus? Also, those two models are practically identical, so I'm suspecting the problem has to do with the location or network of the Rokus and not the particular models. Is it possible to move the office Roku to your home or vice versa to test whether the failure follows the Roku or the location? Finally, can you PM me the serial number of the failing unit and the date, time and time zone when one of the failures happened?

--Mark
0 Kudos

Thanks for looking into this. Both devices are here at the office. The Roku 2 XD is on my desk and the Roku 2 HD is one wall over and both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network.
שלום חבר

Temet nosce
0 Kudos

Also, I sent you all that information in a private message.
שלום חבר

Temet nosce
0 Kudos