Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katycorp
Visitor

Video Counter ala Netflix queue?

How can I set a counter in the top right hand corner of the screen like the netflix queue does? I couldn't find any documentation on an element that could go in that space, under the breadcrumb and overhang. Anyone done this before?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Video Counter ala Netflix queue?

If you mean the two numbers that represent the currently selected item and the total number of items in the selected row, that is built into the roGridScreen component. You won't have to do anything special for it to appear other than implement a roGridScreen in your channel.
0 Kudos
katycorp
Visitor

Yes that's what I meant. Thanks for the reply. One other thing I'm having trouble with is setting the list display mode on the roGridScreen. It always gives me an error:

/tmp/plugin/BIAAAAxmnNGF/pkg:/source/appMain.brs(119): runtime error f4: Member function not found in BrightScript Component or interface.

119: screen.SetListDisplayMode("scale-to-fit")

Even though this function is specifically documented on page 30 of the component reference. Is it not supported yet?

Thanks,
Kaitlin
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

It looks like there is an error in the doc. It should be SetDisplayMode.

--Mark
0 Kudos
katycorp
Visitor

Ah thank you, that works.

Just a couple more questions...

what are the dimensions for the overhang on the gridscreen? It's clearly a lot shorter than the regular overhang on poster screens, but I couldn't find the dimensions in the documentation (could be overlooking it).

Also, is there anyway to make the overhang area bigger to make it more consistent with the overhang in other screens in my app? I'm really only using the grid screen for the counter (and the scrolling seems to be a lot smoother than the poster screen) so I only have one row of content.

Or would it make more sense to just use roImageCanvas and some eventing to make my own counter on the poster screen? I've never used the roImageCanvas component before.

Thanks!

Kaitlin
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

The default dimensions of the Grid overhand are SD height: 49 HD height: 69. In v2.8, this will be configurable.

The roImageCanvas would be too slow to use in building a custom grid.

The poster screen is an option. There is a breadcrumb area you could use to display a counter that you keep track of in your code.

--Kevin
0 Kudos