Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
streamr
Visitor

Vanity Code

Hello,

I'm in the process of creating a couple channels. I've entered in the vanity code names for each channel, but have some questions.

1) Once I enter in a vanity code and go through the rest of the screens (description, thumbs, screenshots) but have NOT YET uploaded and published a package, will the vanity code remain reserved?

To make sure that only one channel can use a particular vanity, I tried entering a vanity name that is currently used, and did get a red tip that it was not available. However, I can create another channel using the same information I used on a previously created but NOT YET published channel that I created. So this is why I ask about the vanity code being "reserved" or something until published.

2) If the vanity code I want to use on the channel I created that is NOT YET published is not "reserved" for me, how can I secure that vanity code to make sure I don't lose (someone else create and publish before I do) it before I publish the channel?

3) Is there any detailed information regarding vanity codes? I'd like to make sure the codes I entered, and the system let me proceed with, can be used. How do I confirm that? Is that something review process will decide?

Both channels are Public type.

Thank you
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Vanity Code

To make sure that only one channel can use a particular vanity, I tried entering a vanity name that is currently used, and did get a red tip that it was not available. However, I can create another channel using the same information I used on a previously created but NOT YET published channel that I created. So this is why I ask about the vanity code being "reserved" or something until published.

I'll have to test that out to see if there is a bug - I don't think you should be able to create a second channel using the same vanity code, published or not.

Is there any detailed information regarding vanity codes? I'd like to make sure the codes I entered, and the system let me proceed with, can be used. How do I confirm that? Is that something review process will decide?

As you have seen, if you enter a code and it is already in use, the system won't let you proceed. The only thing I would suggest is that you be certain you don't use or include any brand names or phrases that you do not have rights to use, and the includes the name Roku. Don't use it in your vanity code.

I haven't seen any issues to date where someone created a channel using a vanity code and was not able to submit it or publish it for any reason. The vanity code only comes into effect after the channel has been published, it won't work otherwise.

- Joel
0 Kudos
streamr
Visitor

I haven't seen any issues to date where someone created a channel using a vanity code and was not able to submit it or publish it for any reason. The vanity code only comes into effect after the channel has been published, it won't work otherwise.

Thank you for your reply.

That's just it, it's not published yet. I'm just wanting to confirm that it cannot be taken before I get a chance to publish. At this point it shows up as a channel in my account, just not yet published.

How do I get confirmation on this? And not using any brand names.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Once you have used a vanity code, nobody else can create a channel with that vanity code - provided you clicked through to the last page of the channel creation process. I think it's actually reserved after the second page where you add your images, set the channel title description and keywords, but to be safe, make sure you've clicked through till you land on the Screenshots page.

- Joel
0 Kudos