Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Motorcykey
Visitor

Using an roSGScreen along with other screens

I'll need to push an update to an existing app in the coming weeks.

My thought was that with the sunsetting of many BrightScript components coming up, this would give me the chance to get my feet wet with SceneGraph, so I proceeded to make the new screen using roSGScreen and SceneGraph nodes/components.

My question is whether or not I will run into any issues updating the app given that the rest of it is built using typical Roku BrightScript screens (e.g., roParagraphScreen, roSpringboardScreen, etc.) Functionality-wise, things seem to be working great when I run the app locally and in a Private Channel. But I am wondering if there might be any certification problems or are any other issues which I should prepare for.

Thank you,

-Mikey
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Using an roSGScreen along with other screens

If you use your existing app it will run stating components are deprecated and to stop using them, but the app will still currently work.
I think I read somewhere that in order for the deprecated components to be used in a scenegraph app, the scene needs to be closed or destroyed, and then recreated?  But I'll need to get into this soon.  https://blog.roku.com/developer/2017/02/01/legacy-sdk/
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Using an roSGScreen along with other screens

Give yourself a generous amount of time to learn RSG if you have to. Say 1-3 months. There will be cursing.
0 Kudos
devsmarquez
Reel Rookie

How could I use roSGScreen for open a new view?

Hi Roku community I want to know if someone can advice me about how can open a new xml view.

I wrote the code like show in the Roku documentation but it dosen't open the view only show me a plash but never show in the new window just be in the view where I'm. This's my code.

screen = CreateObject("roSGScreen")
m.port = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
screen.setMessagePort(m.port)
scene = screen.CreateScene("PlayerScreen")
screen.show()

0 Kudos
RokuJonathanD
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How could I use roSGScreen for open a new view?

Hi @devsmarquez,

Have you looked at our SceneGraph: Build a Channel video course and master sample channel. These are valuable resources that should help expidite your transition to SceneGraph.

0 Kudos