Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Use ECP or port 8080 to change channels on RokuTV

This is all good news! So RokuKC, any idea why GetNowNextPrograms() doesn't seem to work? I can see a great opportunity for Roku: utilize the OTA EPG with a "guide" channel, RMP, and a USB drive and you've got a DVR. Tell me a smart TV with basically a free DVR wouldn't be a hit among cord cutters.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
any idea why GetNowNextPrograms() doesn't seem to work?

Check out viewtopic.php?f=34&t=94391#p537420

I can see a great opportunity for Roku:  utilize the OTA EPG with a "guide" channel, RMP, and a USB drive and you've got a DVR.  Tell me a smart TV with basically a free DVR wouldn't be a hit among cord cutters.

Seems like the stars are all aligned for that, doesn't it?
Except there are couple of hindrances. First one's initials are A.W.   😛
The other one is the amount of kiss up the Co. is doing to broadcasters - certainly not wanting to do something to upset them. Thought that can turn to be blessing in disguise: if cable operator contracts them to do the DVR - watch for a swift maneuver.
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"EnTerr" wrote:

(B) The minimum use case is for tvinput.dtv to just do that for /keypress/Lit_[0-9.]|Enter , w/o any UI element. Easy-peasy. And the beauty of it - again - is that nobody will need to update their remote app for this to work! Let's go with an example, a popular J/S remote: http://remoku.tv/ being able to "dial" channel# as-is, w/o any changes to the site.

Given that Roku remotes don't have a numeric keypad, I don't see worthwhile value in this.
Smart remotes can use the ECP services to provide an intelligent TV channel selection UI, which is a much better user experience than the class dumb / 'trial and error' TV channel number entry.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuKC" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
(B) The minimum use case is for tvinput.dtv to just do that for /keypress/Lit_[0-9.]|Enter , w/o any UI element. Easy-peasy. And the beauty of it - again - is that nobody will need to update their remote app for this to work! Let's go with an example, a popular J/S remote: http://remoku.tv/ being able to "dial" channel# as-is, w/o any changes to the site.

Given that Roku remotes don't have a numeric keypad, I don't see worthwhile value in this.
Smart remotes can use the ECP services to provide an intelligent TV channel selection UI, which is a much better user experience than the class dumb / 'trial and error' TV channel number entry.

Phones, tablets and computers tend to have keyboards 🙂

Certainly a better TV channel UI is better - but who will re-do all existing apps?
There is a flock of them - I had a quick look and there are over ~16 Roku remoting apps for iOS, ~24 for Android, ~12 for Windows phone - so altogether about 50 remote apps. Is it smart to 50x the amount of work? Will they bother, given that RokuTV is ballpark 8% of the Rokus in use?

Let's say the Co's attitude to such apps and users is "screw them" because there is "Roku by Roku Inc" app for these 3 top mobile platforms. How about exotics like Symbian, Blackberry, Maemo/MeeGo/Tizen then? Roku fans have written apps for these years ago.
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"EnTerr" wrote:

Certainly a better TV channel UI is better - but who will re-do all existing apps?

I'm not following your concern. I.e. I'm not aware of anything that would make these existing apps not work or have any different functionality than what the Roku remote provides. If an app wants to provide an enhanced user experience using the ECP APIs, that's up to them to do, or not, as the case might be.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuKC" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:

I'm not following your concern.  I.e. I'm not aware of anything that would make these existing apps not work or have any different functionality than what the Roku remote provides.  If an app wants to provide an enhanced user experience using the ECP APIs, that's up to them to do, or not, as the case might be.

It's an opportunity to retroactively improve 4 dozen apps, why pass on it?
Backwards-compatible enhancements are not a novel idea to Roku / ECP - here is example, one sunny day this happened:
"http wrote:
<apps>
 <app id="tvinput.hdmi1" type="tvin" version="1.0.0">Satellite TV</app>
 <app id="tvinput.hdmi2" type="tvin" version="1.0.0">Roku</app>
 <app id="tvinput.hdmi3" type="tvin" version="1.0.0">Streaming box</app>
 <app id="tvinput.dtv" type="tvin" version="1.0.0">Antenna TV</app>
 <app id="12" type="appl" version="4.1.218">Netflix</app>
The type="tvin" (and type="menu") did not have to be listed under ECP /query/apps - instead telling the app makers to re-write their apps to /keypress/InputHDMI1|InputHDMI2|InputHDMI3|InputTuner . But they do show now and that is a Good Thing - all apps that show list of channels suddenly got "upgraded" to being able to switch TV inputs. Same logic applies to dial-channel-by-number.

But also, there is the case of the advanced IR/radio universal remotes. I look more holistically on dialing OTA channels, beyond ECP alone - as i mentioned in my (A) above. I have experience programming some fancy remotes like URC MX-980 (if i remember, the remote was $500+ from Magnolia + $500+ for professional installer config) and Logitech Harmony^. People that want such remotes for their home theatre also want shortcut buttons programmed for their favorite TV channels - and how will you do that for RokuTV OTA ? Seems like the Co has given consideration to different methods of remote control (cue debug srv), so if IR/RF were to get TV channel codes, why wouldn't ECP?

While these are real use cases, I understand they might be weighed as neglectable (as in "We don't care much about OTA with 3rd party remote apps" and "Remoting of OTA TV with fancy IR/RF home-theater remotes is unlikely because RokuTV targets low-end segment in smart TV"). E.g. yours truly 🙂 - does not watch OTA TV.

(^) having done both, i would like to state that the kludgy software of mx-980 was a royal pain and indeed worth paying pro installer - where Harmony wizards are much more appropriate (if annoying) for lay people.
0 Kudos
Cwkalish

>>>To launch the TV input UI tuned to a particular TV channel, you can use launch/tvinput.dtv&ch=<CHANNEL_NUMBER>.
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/External+Control+Guide#ExternalControlGuide-launch/tvinput.d...

Just in case others are interested in this: This launch requests works if you use “?” Instead of “&”, so tvinput.dtv?ch=xxx

0 Kudos